Motorcycle Forum banner

gz250 wont start

8K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Easy Rider 
#1 ·
i got a 99 gz 250 ive been fooling with as my first "rebuild" and i have some issues. first off, i have to jump the starter off the battery to get it cranked. when i hit the start button, not a sound.

secong, shes been sitting for 6 years. ive changed all the fluids and the only thing i havent done yet is take the carb off (maily cuz i dont know what im supposed to do with the choke) and when i got it going, itd die without more ether. any ideas on these two issues? anything will help

#2 ·
first off, i have to jump the starter off the battery to get it cranked. when i hit the start button, not a sound.

and when i got it going, itd die without more ether. any ideas on these two issues? anything will help
Starter: Could be a bad solenoid but more likely it's one of the safety interlocks or the kill switch. On this bike, for the initial start, it must be in neutral AND have the clutch pulled in (and the choke on at least half way).

No doubt the carb is gummed up big time from sitting that long but.......you have turned the petcock to PRIme and let it sit like that for a while, right?
And you did drain everything and put in fresh gas, right? :mrgreen:

#4 ·
did the prime thing but not for more than a minute

and of course fresh gas, first thing to come off was the tank, drained it, cleaned it, new gas didnt even go in until day i cranked it. and its not the clutch thing, i know theres a ton of safety stuff, i tried cranking in neutral, clutch in, stand up, killswitch correct, etc. nothing.

#5 ·
and its not the clutch thing, i know theres a ton of safety stuff, i tried cranking in neutral, clutch in, stand up, killswitch correct, etc. nothing.
OK, but have you actually TESTED those safety switches individually?....with a meter?

If yes and they are all good, then you are left with the solenoid itself or the start button itself or the wire in between (or maybe a fuse or a relay). You NEED a shop manual.

As for the gas thing, next step is to open the drain on the bottom of the carb bowl, then put it on PRIme and see if gas comes out the drain.

If it does but it still won't run without ether, then it's carb time.

You might be able to do some good by putting full strength Gumout or Berryman's B12 directly down the fuel hose to the carb into an empty bowl until it won't take anymore. Then do the ether fire thing once. Then let it sit for at least 24 hours. Drain and flush the carb bowl. Pray.

If that improves things at all, then carb. cleaner in the first couple of tank fulls may nurse it back to life.

#6 ·
ok, so im an idiot apparently. whilst testing something, i blew the ingintion fuse. swapped it and it worked with the clutch in (first bike ive had that had that feature. i dont like it. any ideas on bypassing it?).

still wont start, so i bought a used but clean carb. should be here soon. always good to have spares i say!

#7 ·
ok, so im an idiot apparently. ............(first bike ive had that had that feature. i dont like it. any ideas on bypassing it?).
Yes, unless you want to keep your reputation intact, don't try it! :mrgreen:

You will get used to it. The electrical systems on the recent Suzuki's are wierd in many respects. Modifications are NOT recommended.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.