Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning everyone, got a wishlist of things I'd like to add to my M50, already did the tires, wide white walls, but now I'm looking for the same bars that Jax has on "S.O.A", to fit a metric bike like the 50...any sites, suggestions?...got the Suzuki specs from our forum but dont no where to start...

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I assume you mean "Jax" from "Sons of Anarchy." I personally think it is a terrible show, but questions about the main character's bike are frequent.

The bike uses a simple set of T-bars with a 10 inch rise. Nothing special about them, and very common...for just about every bike except the first generation M50. The '05-09 M50 used 130mm riser spacing, meaning the mounting holes in the triple tree are 130mm apart. This is much further apart than the spacing on most cruisers, to accommodate that oddball speedometer found on the M50. Because of this, and the fact that the M50 sold in such small numbers, aftermarket manufacturers are reluctant to spend the money to develop a product that fits only one model, as they would not sell very many. So I am unaware of anyone who makes T-bars specifically for your bike.

But the discontinued Honda VTX1800 also used 130mm spacing, as do some models from Victory. So if you do a google search for "t-bars vtx1800" will will find some that physically bolt to your bike.
Of course this is only half the battle. You will need to make sure they have the same 10 inch rise you want, and because the triple tree is not at the same angle as the triple tree on Jax's Harley Dyna Glide, it may have more or less pullback than you want and may look different. You will also need to make sure the bars are the same diameter as your existing switch boxes, or you will have to replace then and rewire the bike. The new bars will also need to have the right mounting holes for your switchboxes.

Alternately, you could simply buy a set of drag bars and fit them to your existing risers, making sure they are the correct diameter and have the appropriate mounting holes, or by buying ones listed specifically for your generation M50. It won't look exactly like Jax's set up, but let's face it, there is absolutley nothing you can do to make your M50 look like a HD Dyna Glide anyways.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Doc....yeah, there is NO comparing the two bikes...I have a drag bar on it now and it's angled down alittle for more of a cafe racer feel...plus I like the stretch being 6'1"....but longer rides are starting to get to me...

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
You might consider wider bars, which can eliminate that cramped feeling on many mid-sized cruisers. I swapped wider bars onto several of my bikes, and added some additional pull back, so my arms are stretched out but I am still sitting upright. Plenty comfy for long trips.

880 Posts
I like handlebars.:) with clip on sports bikes it appears the rider holds on with his/her crotch/handlebars its more about strength. sport bikes you really don't know how fast you are going but with cruisers you can really ride vs crotch rockers you kinda have to speed to feel anything.:fight1:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts