...Couldn't resist.

2014 V Star1300 Tourer....
With 1 mile.

Already put a down payment on it.
What's your opinion of this bike?

·
Super Moderator
12,163 Posts
Don't have any knowledge of that specific model but I don't remember hearing anybody with a Vstar model that had any serious complaints.
Is that model air or water cooled ??

Have you taken a test ride ?
I would STRONGLY suggest that you NOT BUY ANYTHING without a test ride.
Some riders and some bikes just don't get along together.......even if everybody else in the world loves it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't have any knowledge of that specific model but I don't remember hearing anybody with a Vstar model that had any serious complaints.
Is that model air or water cooled ??

Have you taken a test ride ?
I would STRONGLY suggest that you NOT BUY ANYTHING without a test ride.
Some riders and some bikes just don't get along together.......even if everybody else in the world loves it.
Yes, it's liquid cooled, fuel injected. Sat on it in the showroom, low center of gravity, just like my VTX.

The windshield seems too tall, (Never had a windshield before). I've been told by other riders that they look just over the edge of it, and that's the proper height. (?)

·
Super Moderator
12,163 Posts
There is nothing wrong with looking THROUGH the windshield; it gives better protection that way.
That is IF you can stretch just a bit and see OVER it ......like when it is raining.

You are talking about investing a large chunk of change here......on a bike that likely doesn't have any or much more capability than your VTX.
I do like the factory accessories available for the Vstar line; bags, windshield, sissy bar, etc.

But please don't be a fool and buy this without a test ride.
If the dealership says they don't do test rides......even after a down payment.......then screw them and get your money back.
It is REALLY sad to see a rider fighting a bike that doesn't match their riding style because they can't afford to unwind the deal.
PLEASE TEST RIDE.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't see much point to have 2 bikes for the same kind of riding but it's your money. If you only ride in fair weather, then choose what you like better. Like ER alluded to, if you have to ride in the rain, looking through the windshield is going to seriously hamper visibility. For safety reasons, you should be able to see over the windshield to a spot in the road about 50' away. I ride daily so I picked a shorter windshield I can see over.
If the windshield is not adjustable, you can always shave a bit off the top to your proper height. I saw some threads on how to do this but didn't bookmark them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

I'm selling the X.

I wanted something a little "Dressier" than the X.
Also the X's are notorious for being cold blooded.

Once you get into the mid 50's it has to be warmed up to be ride-able.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Once it gets into the mid 50's......**I** have to be warmed up to ride too !! :lol4:

Actually I'm well past the mid 50's now and don't ride below 60 F anymore.
Well, in'05, as long as it was dry, I rode. I didn't cruise, but I road. Sometimes I had to scrape the frost off the inside of my face shield.

I've noticed as the years went by, It had to be progressively warmer for me to ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts