Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just came back from a weekend camping and riding trip in central PA (beautiful riding, btw,) and my one buddy surprises us, opens the door on his car hauler, and shows us the 2013 H-D Road King he just bought. Nice bike, but I'm just not a Harley guy--I still think the bikes are mechanically inferior to ours. But I digress...the real issue here is the sound system on the new H-D! It's just beautiful. Hard saddlebags with integrated marine speakers in the lid, and speaker pods inside the crash bars (which look kind of goofy but sound great.) Now, I have two questions: (1) why is it that Harley seems to be leaving Suzuki in the dust when it comes to offering bikes with decent stereos? (2) Does anyone make a hard bag set with speakers in the lid like the H-D design? I'd love to put some music on my M, wouldn't do the forward speakers like H-D but the bag speakers would be cool. Thoughts, ideas, etc?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
willie and max make a touring kit that might fit your needs.
kuryakyn makes some speaker pods that mount to rigid/hard saddlebags.
bikers choice had some hard bags with cutouts.
why is it that Harley seems to be leaving Suzuki in the dust when it comes to offering bikes with decent stereos?
suzuki doesnt offer a full on touring bike. thus the lack of options. outside of the touring line no harley comes with stereos. the wings are the only with stereos, ....

honda, bmw, harley, kawasaki, indian, victory make the touring bikes. by touring bike i mean fully faired, hardbags, cruise control, .....

-I still think the bikes are mechanically inferior to ours.
i think you might be the only one that thinks that. now an electraglide vs a goldwing vs a bmw rt and you'll get a lively discussion.

its rare to find 20 yr old bikes with 100k miles on them outside of honda, harley, bmw.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you cant beat em join em I have harley hard bags installed on my M with speaker lids. I got the bags used on craigslist and fabbed my own mounting system.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Suzuki used to make a full tourer, may I present to you the Cavalcade.
View attachment 29376
And what a Gawdawfull bike it was too! Basically it was inferior in almost every possible way to the Goldwing, Venture, and Voyager. A big, hulking beast of a bike with nearly a 1100-pound curb weight, with an engine that you had to spin high to make power, a shaft drive unit with an astronomically high failure rate, and a price tag some 20% higher than a comparably equipped Goldwing (which had a larger engine), it was a huge flop. Suzuki lost a boatload of money on that bike. At a time when Honda was selling almost 40,000 Goldwings a year just in the USA, Suzuki managed to sell only 8500 Cavalcades total worldwide across 4 model years, and many of those lingered in dealership showrooms until heavily discounted 3-4 years after production stopped. The whole Cavalcade project was one of the biggest screw ups in the history of Suzuki.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you cant beat em join em I have harley hard bags installed on my M with speaker lids. I got the bags used on craigslist and fabbed my own mounting system.
Must have pics of this mod!!!

Which HD bags did you use, Road King? Were the speakers in them or did you cut them and install from there?

Harley make a "Hogshead" sound system that mounts on the inside of your windshield and doesn't look too hideous for $400, but I'm intrigued by your saddlebag system. More details!

·
Registered
75 Posts
standard harley hard bags from street glide road king any touring bike. I purchased cycle sounds lids made for 6x9 speakers.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have custom dynamics integrated rear turn signals. I did the passenger peg flip and have the bags mounted 3/4" above the Cobra streetrod slash down exhaust.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
And what a Gawdawfull bike it was too! Basically it was inferior in almost every possible way to the Goldwing, Venture, and Voyager. A big, hulking beast of a bike with nearly a 1100-pound curb weight, with an engine that you had to spin high to make power, a shaft drive unit with an astronomically high failure rate, and a price tag some 20% higher than a comparably equipped Goldwing (which had a larger engine), it was a huge flop. Suzuki lost a boatload of money on that bike. At a time when Honda was selling almost 40,000 Goldwings a year just in the USA, Suzuki managed to sell only 8500 Cavalcades total worldwide across 4 model years, and many of those lingered in dealership showrooms until heavily discounted 3-4 years after production stopped. The whole Cavalcade project was one of the biggest screw ups in the history of Suzuki.
Good info! When are you contributing to the consolidated motorcycle encyclopaedia Dr Bob?
You know, it doesn't LOOK too bad! Stylish even!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
677 Posts
Probably wouldn't need to move the signals. Pegs would be a different story though. If you plan to have anyone on the back, they would probably need to be done.

My bags are 14in long, I think I have about 4-5 inches before they would hit the signals. The link you provided says they are 17in long, I think they'll fit.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is the "passenger peg flip" as easy as it looks? Just two bolts on each side and move them to the opposite side? Is there anything else to know? That just seems to easy, and one of those things that you look at and say, "Why didn't they just do that from the factory?"

·
Registered
677 Posts
It's just that easy. Haven't done it myself, but I believe it really is that simple. And, who knows why they don't do it from the factory. Lots of stuff from the factory makes people think that!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts