Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does someone know how a 1200 Custom Sportster handles different than a Softail or Dyna?

I'm thinking of trading in my Sportster for a Dyna. I love the Sportster but I don't want to wind up missing it later.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Well I've owned three Sportys an FXRS Superglide (similar to a Dyna) and two Electraglides plus ridden quite a few Dynas and other Harleys so I guess I can take a stab at an answer for you.

The first thing you will notice is the lower center of gravity,while the Sportster is a bit lighter than the Super (Dyna) the Super may actually feel lighter sitting still once you pull it up off the side stand.
It's definitely easier to handle at low speed feeling less top heavy with it's low center of gravity.
Next as you roll down the road you'll see that the big twin rides smoother,the Sporty Custom rides better than a standard having a bit longer wheelbase but not as smooth as a big twin.
The difference I find most agreeable is the wonderful low end powerband of the big twin,the Sporty is fast but it's 4 cam design and short stroke is more high strung than the big engine and can be jerky at low rpms where as the powerband on the big twin just seems endless and near impossible to lug out compared to a Sporty.
As for handling it depends somewhat on which model you get but I doubt you'd miss the Sportster much as handling is similar enough,I think my FXR was actually better than a Sportster overall in handling.
The trade off for most folks is a plus,few go back to a Sportster from a bigger Harley,some end up with both but usually a Sporty and something like a big bagger.
There is no do it all motorcycle to end all but IMHO the Superglide comes about as close as you can get.
If I could afford two bikes I'd get another for a solo ride,I had mine for 10 years and did 125,000 miles on it,loved that bike but I needed a big touring machine for two up long haul riding so I went bagger.
I rode a Sporty daily for eight years as my only ride and owned a couple more over the years so I have a lot of miles on them.
I've also done over 200,000 miles on Electras so my experience pretty much covers the full spectrum,overall for a bike that's just a lot of fun I'll take a Superglide any day.
Hope this helps......I'd suggest renting one for a day before you buy if you can but be sure you do enough miles to start getting comfortable with it.
It takes a while to get comfortable with the differences switching from any bike to another.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks. That pretty much covers everything that was on my mind. You made up my mind for me..

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I've been drooling over dyna low riders and heritage softail
I've always liked the Lowriders and the Heritage is a great looking bike as well.
I've ridden both ,the Lowrider I've ridden in both Shovelhead and Evo versions and the Heritage in both Evo and Twincam.
I like both bikes but the Softail would never work well for me,I like to carve up the corners too much and they just don't have much cornering clearance.
The Dyna will outperform a Heritage across the board but the Lowrider is also pretty low albeit not as cornering impaired as a Heritage or it's alter-ego the Fatboy.
If I was to buy a new Dyna it would probably be the Dyna Superglide Custom.
If you want a new Lowrider you'll have to find an '09,for some reason it's not in the 2010 lineup but the Custom is pretty much the same bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My sporty has been nothing but trouble since day one. I was getting ready to trade it in for a fat bob when suddenly wihtout warning it would not go past 3rd gear.

I am getting turned off with Harley's. Do all of them have this high maintenance?

The bike only has 13,000 miles

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
My sporty has been nothing but trouble since day one. I was getting ready to trade it in for a fat bob when suddenly wihtout warning it would not go past 3rd gear.

I am getting turned off with Harley's. Do all of them have this high maintenance?
The bike only has 13,000 miles

No!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Ditto,my E-Glide has 162,000 miles now and is still on the original clutch,primary chain and transmission.
Still all works just fine,not the first Harley I've put over 100K miles on with great service life either.
One has to wonder who's been working on that Sporty.:whistle:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got my Sportster fixed. Dirt, grime and a little tust in the linkage. Only cost $42. bucks. I am a happy camper again. Thanks for all the input

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I hate it when I get "tust" in my linkage.:mrgreen::lol4:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Question for Harley guys. The local Harley dealer in central Arkansas takes the MSRP and adds $1000 to arrive at the selling price. Is this the way all the Harley dealers do business? I would like to have a Harley but still keep my GSX650. Wife has yet to approve this plan though. :cool:

·
Mr. Threadjack
3,189 Posts
That's the way they start out but definitely not the way they have to sell the bikes. They have plenty of room to negotiate. It's the same with any bike shop or car lot.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Question for Harley guys. The local Harley dealer in central Arkansas takes the MSRP and adds $1000 to arrive at the selling price. Is this the way all the Harley dealers do business? I would like to have a Harley but still keep my GSX650. Wife has yet to approve this plan though. :cool:
No,H-D dealers are just like car dealers,shop around.
Most have a dealer prep and freight fee added to the MSRP but some will even wave that on a bike that they want to move.
Buying a left over '09 might even get you below MSRP at the right dealer.
That's a problem they didn't have in the past but those deals are out there in this stinking economy.
Just like cars,a particular model that is highly desired may be marked up due to supply and demand,they will get what they think they can.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I'll tell ya what,if you have financing outside of the dealer or better yet cash I'd be looking at late model used bikes right now as there's tons of them out there.
Buy an '09 or '10 that's just barely broke in,one that someone has already paid the "Harley Tax" on (stage 1 tune) and bought a transferable extended warranty for and maybe had that expensive 500 mile first service done on.
Said buyer may have lost a job or has other reasons it's got to go and will sell at a loss to get out from under the payments.
just my 2cts.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts