Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 suzuki intruder when I hit the start button nothing happens and when I plug in the decomp valve it blows the main 30 Amp fuse. I've replaced the starter relay and solenoid and the stator. Can some help I'm at a loss and can't afford to take it to the shop

·
Registered
101 Posts
You've got an electrical short somewhere, may be a shorted out coil in the decomp valve solenoid coil or a shorted wire. Some basic electrical troubleshooting is in order.

·
Super Moderator
12,155 Posts
First, you need to be sure that the engine or starter is not locked up.
Pull the plugs out, leave the decomp disconnected and see if the starter will turn the engine over with NO compression.

And stop taking wild guesses at what the problem is.
Before too long, you will have wasted MUCH more time and money than it would have cost you to have a shop fix it right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The starter turns freely when I jump the solenoid but no start due to no spark. Is there a way to test the decomp valve? And does it need to be plugged in to complete a circuit? Because even with it unplugged when I hit the starter button I get nothing. Lights all work fine as well as gauges.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The starter turns freely when I jump the solenoid but no start due to no spark. Is there a way to test the decomp valve? And does it need to be plugged in to complete a circuit? Because even with it unplugged when I hit the starter button I get nothing. Lights all work fine as well as gauges.
For one, do you have a mechanics repair manual for your bike? They have test procedures that explain how to check.

My 1986 Suzuki Savage had a decompression valve. There was an electrically operated solenoid powered through the igniter that cracked the two exhaust valves slightly open, to reduce the load on the starter when starting up. After cranking a few seconds it closed while still continuing to crank until you released the starter. Being a large single, mine was not properly adjusted. It would start, but it put a load on the starter straining it, a good way to eventually break something.

There is an adjustment for that solenoid. Mine used feeler gages to adjust the amount of solenoid piston travel.

And, Easy Rider is correct. If you are uncertain how to approach, a shop mechanic could quickly troubleshoot and get that part working correctly, for probably less aggravation and less possible damage to the engine.

There are times to use a mechanic, and this very well may be one of those opportune times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts