Motorcycle Forum banner

Headlight glare guard removal

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Batoussi 
#1 ·
Have any of you taken the glare guards off of your headlights? I've been thinking of doing this to try & gain some more visibility. Does anyone else have issues with the lighting? I've put Sylvania Silverstars in thus far, which helped a lil. I've done this with the fog lights on my car and it helped out a whole lot. TIA!

#2 ·
I'm pretty sure they are there to disperse the light as best as possible around the chrome of the headlight. I wouldn't mess with it with a bike because it might make visibility worse. But I'm not really sure. :?

#3 ·
I'm curious as to what you are calling a Glare Guard. Those lights are engineered so that the point source of light from your bulb is reflected off of the reflector piece to throw as much light out in the best possible spread to give you as good a field of view as possible when riding at night. There is a specific shape to this "bubble" of light so you get a good long distance view straight ahead, but still have a reasonable short distance view at your sides. If you take out any part of that headlight assembly, you will drastically change its performance.

#5 ·
Drake said:
I'm curious as to what you are calling a Glare Guard. Those lights are engineered so that the point source of light from your bulb is reflected off of A.the reflector piece to throw as much light out in the best possible spread to give you as good a field of view as possible when riding at night. There is a specific shape to this "bubble" of light so you get a B.good long distance view straight ahead, but still have a reasonable short distance view at your sides. If you take out any part of that headlight assembly, you will drastically change its performance.
A. That is what I'm referring to as the "Glare Guard".
B. I haven't this to start with, hece the question!

The headlights "only" light the road directly infront of the bike about 10-15ft (with the highbeams on!). That is it! No upward, onward, distant lighting what-so-ever. How about adjustments, are there any? Something that would tilt the whole assembly upward.
Thanks for any & all input!

#6 ·
AR1K,.

You might have to remove your front faring, but you should definitely be able to adjust the aiming direction of your headlight. Most motocycle shops/inspection stations have some place setup where you can stand your bike upright, with its lights on, there will be a graduated marker on a wall etc. to make sure that it is aiming where it should (as intended by the manufacturer).

Hopefully your local motorcycle garage/dealership can check on your light settings.

Good Luck

#7 ·
AR1K said:
Have any of you taken the glare guards off of your headlights? I've been thinking of doing this to try & gain some more visibility. Does anyone else have issues with the lighting? I've put Sylvania Silverstars in thus far, which helped a lil. I've done this with the fog lights on my car and it helped out a whole lot. TIA!
If you are having trouble with your lightening trust me when i say it has nothing to do with the glare guard. I also will totally agree with Drake, if you are having that much trouble go to Ebay and order yourself a set of Xenon Headlights. They are way brighter then stock bulbs but not as bright as HID's, those are the brightest and the most expensive. If you have the money to fork out for HID's then by all means go right along they will brighten up the night the way the sun only could. :twisted:

P.S. The Xenon bulbs are almost twice as bright as the Sylvania's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.