Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. My father owns a 1999 BMW F650CS and it seems like his headlight is either broken, going out or needs replaced. When you start the bike and turn on the headlights, you can barely even see it. The light is so dim that it barely projects enough light to see a foot in front of you. Also, when you turn the hi-beam switch to the on position, it doesn't switch from low to hi. It is one constant barely visible light. My question is what would cause this? Is the light bulb itself out, is the switch bad or does the whole headlamp need replacing? I thought I would come here first before I take it in and deal with those "wonderful guys at the Las Vegas BMW Motorcycle dealership!" :fight1:

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
That sounds like a short to me, where most of the current is bypassing the bulb. I don't know anything about BMWs, but I'd be on the lookout for warm wires that could start a fire. Check for pinches and worn spots.

·
Super Moderator
12,302 Posts
That sounds like a short to me, where most of the current is bypassing the bulb. I don't know anything about BMWs, but I'd be on the lookout for warm wires that could start a fire. Check for pinches and worn spots.
Good advise. Let me add to that: The short could be INSIDE the bulb. I'd replace the bulb first; if that is not the problem, then you have a spare.

The other possibility is a bad ground somewhere near the headlight or from the fork assy. to the frame.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I am going to replace the bulb tomorrow and see if that works. If not, I will come back and let you know and will go onto the second step to find the problem.

·
Super Moderator
12,302 Posts
Thanks for the input. I am going to replace the bulb tomorrow and see if that works. If not, I will come back and let you know and will go onto the second step to find the problem.
I'd be happy to help locate the problem for you.
All you have to do is provide a round-trip plane ticket!! :mrgreen:

The predicted HIGH here tomorrow is gonna be about +5. :eek:crap:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd be happy to help locate the problem for you.
All you have to do is provide a round-trip plane ticket!! :mrgreen:

The predicted HIGH here tomorrow is gonna be about +5. :eek:crap:
Damn man. That sucks. It was 70 degrees this weekend. I rode for about 20 miles on the BMW. I am going to sell my Suzuki (got an offer for $1500 more than I paid for her) and just ride the BMW for the next 6 months. Then I am going to trade up for a nice and new bike, probably a 1500cc or so. How is the weather there today? It is 56 right now and sunny. Not too shabby.
As for the headlight problem, I wasn't able to get around to it this weekend. I will be working on this week though and hopefully will get it solved. I did find an extra headlight in the garage for the bike and hopefully that will work for me.
Any suggestions?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts