Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Administrator
234 Posts
WELCOME ABOARD the site, and…

Hope to see you contribute. You get more from the site when you do.

· Registered
7,351 Posts
I had a 78 GS 750....I would suspect a float that has sunk allowing excess fuel to run into one of the float bowls or it could be a faulty float needle....check for a slight ring around the tip of the needle...this indicates that it has failed.....also check your fuel valve....I cant remember if these had a vacuum valve or manual. If its the latter check it isn't on prime also that it isn't leaking.

You may want to check your oil isn't overfilled with leaking fuel seeping into it. If this is the case do not run the engine and drain the oil. You will have to fix the fuel problem before filling with new oil.

Good luck

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I had a 78 GS 750....I would suspect a float that has sunk allowing excess fuel to run into one of the float bowls or it could be a faulty float needle....check for a slight ring around the tip of the needle...this indicates that it has failed.....also check your fuel valve....I cant remember if these had a vacuum valve or manual. If its the latter check it isn't on prime also that it isn't leaking.

You may want to check your oil isn't overfilled with leaking fuel seeping into it. If this is the case do not run the engine and drain the oil. You will have to fix the fuel problem before filling with new oil.

Good luck

Many thanks. Another former GS owner mentioned this as well so now I have a game plan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts