Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folks!

I'm a VERY new motorcyclist. I'm so new that I don't yet have a motorcycle. I've been looking into getting my first motorcycle. A motorcycling friend of mine suggested I join some forums and ask questions.

I'm a small female and I'm thinking my first bike should be a 250 cruiser of some sort. I've looked into Suzuki 250s and Honda Rebels. I don't have a lot of money, so I've been looking on craigslist for good deals. I also really like vintage and classic bikes, especially ones from the 60s and 70s, but I was warned against buying one of those as a first bike because of the problems they can have.

Nice to join in with you all and please share any suggestions!

Thanks!
Cait

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
:welcomes: Welcome Cait.

This is a great place to get info & ideas on what other people have bought for a first ride, sounds like you already have the basic idea down pat, start small, and used, bot not too used, I also wouldn't necessarily be put off from buying something that already has some experience in being on it's side, you will probably drop it too, and as long at there isn't any mechanical damage you can get more for you money if it already has a ding or two.

Beginner bikes will sometimes be passed to several different riders in a few short years, and it's not unusual to find a 4 to 5 year old bike that has already been bought & sold more times than it is years old, the first one or two owners take the brunt of the depreciation, and subsequent owners can sometimes sell it without any loss at all.

I like to tell new-b's that this isn't going to be the last bike you buy, it's just the first one,,,,,,,,,,,,, it doesn't have to be your perfect dream bike, besides most riders will change there minds many times over the years as to what there perfect dream bike is, just buy the first one to learn the basics on.;)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I like to tell new-b's that this isn't going to be the last bike you buy, it's just the first one,,,,,,,,,,,,, it doesn't have to be your perfect dream bike, besides most riders will change there minds many times over the years as to what there perfect dream bike is, just buy the first one to learn the basics on.;)
Just look at his sig,6 bikes in his stable lol.

Welcome,sounds like you have some good advise already.
That Honda Rebel is a great choice for a starter and if you run across a Honda Twinstar 200 in good shape while it's a little older it's a great little bike and very easy to ride plus will be less money if you find one.
I taught my wife on one and she loved that little bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts