Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, the wifey said she didn't want me to have a bike but if i wanted one i could get one. i should be starting another job soon and will have some money after cashing in some leave time. this will be my first bike, however, i grew up riding dirt bikes and rode around the neighborhood years ago on my brother's GS450....yes, i said years ago. i'm not trying to convince anyone that i have any experience but i just want to establish that i'm not a complete noobie. the two bikes that i've narrowed it down to are the GSX750R or a SV1000S. before anyone flames me on my choices of a "first bike" let me just say that i'm 6' 250lbs and 38 yrs old. i don't want to have regrets after a few months of riding an SV650 or a GSX600R, i want a bike that i can grow into and these are the only two that i'm interested in. obviously both bikes have awesome power (although different types of power) i'm interested in rider comfort to an extent (i know neither bike offers much in that area). deciding factors are:

handling
price
comfort
reliability

not in any particular order.

is there anywhere that i could test drive both bikes?
any opinions are greatly appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Welcome. Where are you? Without knowing that, the only place I can recommend is "the dealer".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry...orlando, fl. i have a friend with a GSX600R and he said i could take it for a spin but finding a vtwin is a different story.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Please put it in your profile.

I assume you mean GSXR600. Once you've ridden that, you can expect similar power from the SV1000 with much more linear delivery, meaning it will launch from a start without so much engine speed, and there's not that abrupt power punch at high rpm. I'd just sit on each bike you're considering for a while if you can't ride them. Read all the reviews you can find. Unless you have your license, you'll have a hard time finding dealers who'll let you ride the sportbikes.

·
Super Moderator
12,828 Posts
sorry...orlando, fl. i have a friend with a GSX600R and he said i could take it for a spin but finding a vtwin is a different story.
On Soapbox:

One should never buy a bike without a test drive. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER.
This is especially important for used bikes and/or first time riders.
Do whatever it takes, take a course, get the license first, bring your wife along and leave her as a hostage :roll: Whatever it takes!

Off Soapbox. (Well, kind of)

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Riding" (my version):

There is a perfect bike for every rider......well maybe not perfect in all cases but there IS a best bike for every rider. It is not the one that looks the best (poser) or the one that goes the fastest or the one that makes the most noise OR the one that feels the most comfortable while sitting still.
The best bike for you is the one that you feel most comfortable RIDING and nobody knows that feeling but YOU. (See above about test ride!)

You will know that you have found the right bike for you when you feel "one with the machine". It does everything just like you expect it to. You just look where you want to go and it goes there, as if by magic. You don't have to "fight" it to get the result you expect........and every time you come to a stop it does not feel like you are fighting it to keep it upright.

The sad part is that most riders never find their perfect bike because they are looking for the wrong things. I.E. They bought a bike that looks good without taking a test drive......or figured they could LEARN to like how it rides because it LOOKS so damn good.

Did I mention, get a test drive? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
302 Posts
The GSXR is a hardcore racing bike. Very powerful and not very comfortable to ride for any length of time. I personally would get the SV because it is more well rounded. I have a SV650 and ride it everywhere; twisty back roads, in town, 2 up and its fun no matter where I ride it. My friend has a GSXR1000 and his butt falls asleep after a 30 min ride and he hates riding 2 up on it; but he can do a wheelie in all 6 gears....

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
GS450's what I leaned on also.........

What ever bike you decide on good luck, safety's always number one. You always see us reinforcing people to wear all the gear all the time.

Welcome to the board!!!!

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
a 6' 250lbs and 38 yrs old can be a squid too if they're not riding safely.

If the dealer doesn't want to give you a test ride, then go somewhere else. A bike dealer is just like an auto dealer - they want your money and will do what they have to in order to get it.

As for comfort, sit on the bike in your gear for 30 or 40 minutes. You may get some strange looks in the showroom but who cares. If the dealer doesnt like it then they must not be interested in a sale.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
hehehe i hadnt thought of that.

you might have to pay for the cleaning bills though :D

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Going on 3 years and the SV is still more then I'll ever need and I have no desire to get anything GSXR related.

V-twin sound > I4 sound.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I think the SV is more first bike friendly.
And there are plenty of SV riders for whom the SV650/1000 is their 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th.........bike.

But since you asked for some bike vs bike data:

SV650/SVS650 vs GSXR600
handling = SV IMHO if you love the super twistys more
price = SV
comfort = SV
reliability = push
Also the SV has low to mid range torque which is better suited for intown riding and corner exit speed. The GSXR won't give you anything usable below 8k rpms. Insurance on the SV is going to be allot less too. Top speed goes to the GSXR as the SV tops out about 135.

SVS1000 vs GSXR750
handling = GSXR
price = SV
comfort = SV
reliability = push

SV650 vs SVS1000
handling = 650 by a mile, the 1000 is heavier in the twisties
price = 650 hellz yeah, used even better
comfort = naked SV but the SVS with risers isn't so bad
reliability = The SV V-twin is damn near bullet proof as long as you don't wheelie alot. Oil starvation will blow the motor.

And lastly your size has nothing to do with the size bike or motor you need to start off with. I know bigger people then yourself that are quite happy on the SV650. And so what if you only keep your first bike for a year or so, the resale value/trade in value on both are strong and high.

Don't make the mistake that you'll get board with a smaller bike too quick. If you're thinking that then maybe you should do some track days or Dragon runs (Deal's Gap) on said bike before you really believe that statement cause I just don't believe you can push a bike to the extreme edge on any city street let alone in Orlando. Trust me on that cause I also live in Orlando and no you can't ride my bike.

:)

·
Super Moderator
12,828 Posts
The GSXR won't give you anything usable below 8k rpms.
Well, that kind of depends on your definition of "usable"! :mrgreen:

And lastly your size has nothing to do with the size bike or motor you need to start off with.
Except for the combination of a VERY small rider on a VERY large bike which almost never works out......not never; but almost never.

Otherwise: :plus1:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'll chime in here..i ride an SV 650, and it was my first bike as well,
forgiving?..yes..fast...no..Fun? hell yeah!also very user friendly..let
me say that I too live in Flroida, the northern part and there aint a
whole lot of twisties here..ii do a lot of city riding and i think an SV
650 or 1000 will have a gsxr beat hands down for that and for ease of
riding..however i also do a good bit of highway riding and there are times
when i long for a little more power than the 650 can deliver, like when
im trying to pass cars for example..i know others will disagree on this but