Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to the forum. I currently ride a 2005 yamaha warrior. I am looking to make it my own however am not mechanically inclined. I am also on a tight budget so I am am hoping to learn from other riders. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks sorry for the vauge question

Welcome to the forum.
What does that mean, exactly ??

If the bike runs good, given what you said, you should not F*** with it mechanically.

The bike does run well however it was used and body is rough. I brought it to a local custom shop and they are going to repaint and make me a custom seat however I was thinking since its their maybe I should have something custom done. One guy their has a Warrior like mine with a wide tire conversion on back and stretched tank, it looks really cool. I just have never ridden one with a wide tire and didnt know hoe they handle ??

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
I just have never ridden one with a wide tire and didnt know hoe they handle ??
Most of those who have them (wide CAR tires) claim that there really isn't that much difference.
I find that hard to believe because I can tell the difference between styles and brands of "real" bike tires and.........
Every once in a while you will find someone who admits going back because they can't stand the odd feel.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I just have never ridden one with a wide tire and didnt know hoe they handle ??
Probably like $hit. It won't turn as easily....and where's the fun in that?

The warrior is a pretty bike to begin with, why mess with that and make it ride like a pos?

Just get it in ship shape first, then see if you still wanna do all that stuff to it. Might find that you like just the way it is...

·
Registered
729 Posts
Most of those who have them (wide CAR tires) claim that there really isn't that much difference.
I find that hard to believe because I can tell the difference between styles and brands of "real" bike tires and.........
Every once in a while you will find someone who admits going back because they can't stand the odd feel.
I guess I missed the part where he said he was going to put a "car tire" on his bike. Most folks who put a custom wide tire on a bike use a motorcycle tire, much wider than a car tire in most cases.

I have a friend who has a very wide tire on a 109, it runs good in a straight line but he can't keep up with me in the curves, (but he could never keep up with me in the curves LOL).

·
Registered
677 Posts
I guess I missed the part where he said he was going to put a "car tire" on his bike. Most folks who put a custom wide tire on a bike use a motorcycle tire, much wider than a car tire in most cases.

I have a friend who has a very wide tire on a 109, it runs good in a straight line but he can't keep up with me in the curves, (but he could never keep up with me in the curves LOL).
Guess I should have been more specific....

I assumed he meant an avon 250 rear, which is what most people use if they convert to a "wide" rear.

You are spot on...

In a straight line, or long highway runs, it matters very little. But, as soon as you find that beautiful mountain road, you'll hate it. Wider tires, particularly the FRONT tire will make it much harder to turn. Rear is not as bad, but still not conducive to good handling.

I forget the interweb doesn't convey the subtle, or implied parts of conversation. I'm still learning I guess.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Guess I should have been more specific....

I assumed he meant an avon 250 rear, which is what most people use if they convert to a "wide" rear.

You are spot on...

In a straight line, or long highway runs, it matters very little. But, as soon as you find that beautiful mountain road, you'll hate it. Wider tires, particularly the FRONT tire will make it much harder to turn. Rear is not as bad, but still not conducive to good handling.
My friend's 109 has a 300 rear motorcycle tire on it, it is so wide he had to get a custom swing arm to allow the tire to fit. I think his front tire is stock width. It is interesting to see the rear tire lift the center off the pavement in the curves as it rolls on the shoulders of the tire. I prefer stock or near stock width tires for better handling but the very wide tires look cool (while sitting still).

·
Registered
677 Posts
My friend's 109 has a 300 rear motorcycle tire on it, it is so wide he had to get a custom swing arm to allow the tire to fit. I think his front tire is stock width. It is interesting to see the rear tire lift the center off the pavement in the curves as it rolls on the shoulders of the tire. I prefer stock or near stock width tires for better handling but the very wide tires look cool (while sitting still).
I'll agree with you there...I do like the looks of the wide tires. I've been on a friends r6 that is stretched with the wide tire on the back, looks great, but even that sucks for handling. I thought it wouldn't be that bad, but sadly it couldn't corner for nothing.

Even a super sport that is made to handle like a racing bike, the wide tire just ruins it all.

Like everything else in life, seems there is a trade off.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
The wider rear tire makes a signifigant difference. Test rode several Victories awhile back. Started out on a Hammer 8ball. When I got on the regular Vegas the difference in agility was startling. The Vegas was far more flickable than the Hammer. Yeah I know flickable doesn't really go with cruisers. :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.