Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I just bought my first cruiser yesterday! It is a 2006 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic with 2600 miles, I paid $6,000 for it. Hope I didn't pay to much! The previous owner said he hadn't ridden it in 8 mo. to a year. So I am guessing that I should get it in for a service fairly soon?

I was reading through some of the posts to get answers to some questions and decided to join mostly because of the answers I was seeing. I have a couple questions that I hope someone can help with.

First, on the test drive and throughout most of the hour drive home everything was great. But then the heat from the engine started to get to me, right where your legs and edge of the seat meet. Is there any sort of heat shield or accessory to help with the heat?

Second, after riding for a while it seemed to idle high. When first started and for about 20min it seems to idle at an expected rate. Then it starts idling about 2 times faster after that first 20 min. Any ideas? Is it something I should be concerned about?

I also had a question about floorboard extenders but saw Bigs' report on them and think they are going to be a necessity. Bigs if you read this, are they worth the money? I am fairly tall and large and was uncomfortable after about 45min.

Sorry for the long-winded intro.
Great Forum,

BellBoy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Change the oil and filter ASAP!!!! Unless he had service records...as far as the price thats a good deal...go to New Car Prices, Used Car Values, New Car Reviews and Car Buying at NADA Guides and get the amount its worth...Changing the oil will help with the heat. The oil is probably broken down...plus if he used a sub par oil it allows you to get a good one in there. I have heard good things about amsoil synthetic. You also wanted to make sure that he changed the final drive oil. As far as the floorboard extenders...I added them to mine...well peg extenders..but its the same product...I'm 6'4" and I got the 4 inch...its A MILLION times easier to ride now. I got mine on ebay..but motorcycle enhancments makes a GREAT product. I got mine cheaper because I found them on ebay. If you got any questions for me shoot me an email bro...I'll be glad to help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks Big Trey,
I was planning on getting a full service done just in case and having it looked at to make sure all is well. Glad to hear that the extenders are worth it. I will probably be adding those and saddlebags first.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yes, extensions are a big help and definitely worth the money. Not sure if all the extensions out there on the market do this, but the M/E's give a slight tilt to the floorboard. Makes them more comfortable, not just a flat board.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the same bike. It was doing the same thing. I took it back to the dealer yesterday. They had to re-jet the carbs and now it is fine.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I have the same bike. It was doing the same thing. I took it back to the dealer yesterday. They had to re-jet the carbs and now it is fine.
Just like Harleys they are jetted way lean from the factory to pass emissions,a stage one kit will help with the heat and give a little boost in power as well.
A rejet will help but an exhaust upgrade and a free flow air breather with a carb rejet will really wake her up and cool her down.:cool:
With most bikes that means a slight drop in gas mileage but the trade off in how it rides is well worth it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same heat and idle issue with my 08 classic. I just assumed living in Arizona in the summer was the cause. So re-jet should fix the idle right? Thanks for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts