Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm new here, and I'm looking for a little advice on where to find a cover for my SV... I've been told by local dealerships there isn't one available. And yet, there they are, right on the screen in front of me! Imagine. The cdn site (suzuki.ca) has no picture, no real description, only a # and price really. So I emailed them and they've decided to ignore me I guess. I don't know how much clearer I could have waved money in their virtual face, but I guess they aren't interested. Hmm. So I took the part # to the local dealership whom I HATE, and they politely offered to bring it in, but I had to pay up front and like or not, it would be mine, no refunds. I'm not that keen since I haven't seen it or even read about it. There are 2 avail on the US website, great pics, descriptions, etc, but no place to order from. So I'm stumped. Any advice?
Abby

·
Super Moderator
12,828 Posts
Hi all! I'm new here, and I'm looking for a little advice on where to find a cover for my SV...
Bike covers are pretty generic. Even the ones claiming to be for a particular bike really just have a (whatever) logo attached to the proper size generic cover.

Check any bike shops around, regardless of brand. Also "big box" department and hardware stores.
I found mine at a hardware store. Not fancy but more than adequate and at a good price.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was afraid of that...

Thanks for the tip...I already dragged one home, that was supposed to be the right size, it looked like my 2 yr old was playing dressup in my clothes! I was hoping it might fit better from the manu...hmmm... I don't know! Maybe I'll try another brand of generic...argh!

·
Super Moderator
12,828 Posts
it looked like my 2 yr old was playing dressup in my clothes! I
1) You don't want it too snug; it needs to breath a bit so moisture won't accumulate due to warm/cold weather cycles.

2) Get a few large black metal paper clip binders. With them, you can fold/roll up some of the excess material and clamp with the binders. Cost? $5 or less.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL Louis! That's a great idea! Don't think I'm a freak, but my SV already lives in a heated garage... my hubby has a '68 chev c-10 he's resto-ing and he makes such a mess in there, I'm always washing dust and crap off. I'm just cringing at the thought of how it'll look come next spring!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1) You don't want it too snug; it needs to breath a bit so moisture won't accumulate due to warm/cold weather cycles.

2) Get a few large black metal paper clip binders. With them, you can fold/roll up some of the excess material and clamp with the binders. Cost? $5 or less.
hmmm... that could work.... the one I had brought home was about 2 feet too long! I'm going to look for something a bit cheaper, and maybe try your alterations! Tks!

·
Super Moderator
12,828 Posts
the one I had brought home was about 2 feet too long!
2 FEET !!!
They do come in different sizes, you know ?? :mrgreen:

Having said that, the various mfgr's have their own standards for SM, MED and LG so it is sometimes hard to compare different brands, size wise.

I'm guessing that your bike probably needs a medium but I'll bet that the one you already have probably IS marked medium !?!?!? It's a crap shoot.
Good luck!
:bluethum:

·
Registered
302 Posts
They carry generic bike covers at places like walmart and target, and if you keep your receipt, you should have no problem returning them if they dont fit

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
LOL Louis! That's a great idea! Don't think I'm a freak, but my SV already lives in a heated garage... my hubby has a '68 chev c-10 he's resto-ing and he makes such a mess in there, I'm always washing dust and crap off. I'm just cringing at the thought of how it'll look come next spring!
Kick him out of there ! :mrgreen:

:lol:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem sorted!

Kick him out of there ! :mrgreen:

:lol:
wouldn't I love to, but he did buy me the bike soooo...!:whistle:
Yeah, you guessed it, the cover did say Med, and was supposed to be for my bike, but I dunno what happened, the assembly line was hung over I guess! But anyways, I brokedown and dropped into my dealership (2 hr ride away...I know, coulda called, but where's the fun in that?!) and ordered the one I've never seen. I gently reminded them while stamping my foot that we had just ridden 2 bikes out their doors a few months ago, and they suddenly saw it my way that if I didn't want it, I'd be returning it! Funny, that, huh?:fight1:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts