Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using an HJC helmet, couldn;t beat the price, but getting lots of head buffeting. I already put a post about the windshield and have moved it all around to no avail. Before getting a larger windshield, I am thinking about getting another helmet to try out. Any advice on a helmet that is "aerodynamically" friendly but won't break my budget?

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
GMax 68s Crusader. I love mine, and for the money you can't beat it. It fits very well and no buffeting.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Dan, how is the noise level on the 68s? I want to get a new helmet and that model is at the top of my list. Right now I have a Nolan modular, which is sort of noisy, but I have nothing to compare to. I'm going to check out another dealer tomorrow just on the chance they sell the Gmax, but I may just order one online.

Did you find the sizing to be accurate?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Is it a lot of noise? Or is your head getting pushed aroudn from side to side?

If your head is gettign pushed around, tha tis buffeting. If so, try riding with the shield off jsut to see if your head stiff gets shoved around. If it doesnt then the shield is the problem.

Noise is most likely the helmet.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Check out SparX, I just bought Wuby one for his birthday (he hasn't gotten it yet, but knows about it).

They are in the sub 150.00 range. They are made by KBC, there DOT and ECE 22.05 certified, they weigh about 3.2 to 3.5 pounds, and are available in some cool graphics.

SparX Helmets: For Riders, by Riders. Ride on
I have a SparX and I really like it. If noise level is an issue this is not the best. I don't really mind it, but I could see how it would be anoying to others. Also their sizes run small. I usually wear a medium, but I had to buy a large. So be sure to try before you buy.

Also they are not made by KBC, they have the same owners. Completely different company and don't really like to be asociated with KBC (from what I understand).

Here is the one I have. I love it!

Also they send you an extra visor, so I got a clear and a smoke black one. They have a great warranty, if you wreck and ruin your helmet, you can turn in the police report and they will send you a new one for free!

Got mine from revzilla.com Great place to buy.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
I use a Scorpion EXO 400. It's only about $170 (was cheaper, but you know the economy) and it's pretty quiet compared to my Arai. May want to try it on before you buy since you're using an HJC, Scorpions have more of an oval shape to them.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Dan, how is the noise level on the 68s? I want to get a new helmet and that model is at the top of my list. Right now I have a Nolan modular, which is sort of noisy, but I have nothing to compare to. I'm going to check out another dealer tomorrow just on the chance they sell the Gmax, but I may just order one online.

Did you find the sizing to be accurate?
Noice level is Moderate to Low. I have 3 full face helmets right now, the 68s is by far the quietest. I have an HJC and some knock off modular that I hate.

I would say the sizing is accurate. I wear a large in mine and it fits pretty close to the same as the Shoei that I had a few years ago.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Buy a shell and wear it for a couple months then go back to your full face. You won't be complaining about it anymore.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Buy a shell and wear it for a couple months then go back to your full face. You won't be complaining about it anymore.
Very true!!! I wear a skid lid about 50% of the time, and it does make the full face seem silent.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I wear the skull 99% of the time and I have no problems with anything... Have a windshield and I must have it angled just perfect... No jimmy buffeting at all.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wear the skull 99% of the time and I have no problems with anything... Have a windshield and I must have it angled just perfect... No jimmy buffeting at all.
Seeing we have the same great taste in color schemes (sshhhhh...don't let everyone know that the black and yellow;s are THE FASTEST:bluethum:).....Mind sending me some pics of your bike? What type of windshield do you have? I really wanted to see the angle and install of the windsield. pics can be sent to [email protected].

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
I use a Scorpion EXO 400. It's only about $170 (was cheaper, but you know the economy) and it's pretty quiet compared to my Arai. May want to try it on before you buy since you're using an HJC, Scorpions have more of an oval shape to them.
:plus1:

EXO 700. Seems very quiet to me. Everybody has a different shaped head though. What's perfect for one guy is terrible for another. But I'm very happy with mine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have a Shoei full face Rf-1000 - pretty quiet, low buffeting (have windshield), great ventilation. With a blue iridium visor - love it but it is a pain with my glasses, and I have to take it off everytime I have to go through security at work (show badge and mug).

Just bought a AGV Miglia Modular (Italian) - very nice, low noise (surprisingly), light, comfortable. Don't feel any buffeting. Glasses still don't sit too well (but manageable), ventilation slightly worse than Shoei, and in a heavy rain, a little water came in inside the visor. But the visor resists fog much better than the Shoei. And the modular chin bar is useful in more ways than I imagined - let us say, I can see my zipper now without taking my helmet off.

Shoei - $330
AGV - $140
Ability to move chin bar up out of the way - priceless

·
Registered
135 Posts
arai profiler best helmet i have ever used got it new off the bay for 300
jeff

·
Registered
119 Posts
I really like my Scorpion EXO-400. No buffeting at all for me, and medium on the wind noise.

Cheapest Snell helmet I could find

·
Registered
209 Posts
Bowlersev for some reason this site is not letting me put on attachments. Don't know if its this site or my computer. Will get you some pics when I get a chance. I posted some about a week ago under the thread " 1st Pics 08"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts