Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been lamenting the sore lack of comprehensive helmet reviews lately. My Arai Signet GTR has been great, but it's 7 years old. I take very good care of it and have confidence in its protective ability, but I'm going to need to replace it soon. It's very hard to find good reviews in a collective sense.

With that in mind, I want to create a collection of reviews here. The rules for this thread are as follows:

• Use the post format below.
  • Enter all information that you have.
  • Leave the other fields blank or enter N/A.
  • Create a link using the model field if desired (how to create links)
  • Ratings are: 1=worst, 5=best.
  • Please disable your signature. You can do this with the checkbox in the advanced dialog.
Any posts not following this format will be deleted. This isn't a place for discussion or questions. If you want to know about a specific model or feature, search, then start a new thread if necessary.

Thank you. Here's the format:
(how to copy and paste)

Model:
Make:
Model year/purchase date:
Purchase price:
Color/style:
Visor option:
Other features or accessories:
Wind noise level (1-5):
Ventilation (1-5):
Weight (1-5):
Aero stability (1-5):
Build quality (1-5):
Paint/finish quality (1-5):
Comfort (1-5):
Overall impression (1-5):
Other notes:

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Model: Signet GTR
Make: Arai
Purchase price: $350
Model year/purchase date: 2000/2002
Color/style: Squadra silver/black
Visor option: dark smoke
Wind noise level (1-5): 3
Ventilation (1-5): 3
Weight (1-5): 3
Aero stability (1-5): 4
Build quality (1-5): 4
Paint/finish quality (1-5): 5
Comfort (1-5): 5
Overall impression (1-5): 4
Other notes: The accessory parts on this helmet are subject to chemical damage from cleaners. Arai was great about refurbishing my helmet after cleaning with mild detergents and citrus products resulted in multiple failures. No part has failed since it's been cleaned with water only. The visor system was Arai's first attempt at a toolless release, and earned little praise. It's manageable with practice, but better systems have been developed since. This has been a very comfortable, durable helmet.

·
Cookie Monstress.
5,192 Posts
Model: HJC
Make: SyMax
Model year/purchase date: 2007
Purchase price: $175
Color/style: wine red
Visor option: medium smoke
Wind noise level (1-5): 2
Weight (1-5): 4
Aero stability (1-5): 4
Comfort (1-5): 2
Overall impression (1-5): 3
Other notes:[/QUOTE]
I have had this for a couple years now and really like it. Access with the flip up is really good if you wear glasses as I do. The mechanics of the flip up and visor work well. Wind noise is annoying at speed... and the lack of closure around chin results in a lot of airflow...which keeps fogging down well but makes my neck cold...lol. Visor change is easy. Fit to my head is not the best...after a long wear time it leaves a red spot on my forehead... I have tried to sculpt the foam layer a bit but it still is annoying....most helmets I try on do this tho.....:(.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Model: TZR
Make: Shoei
Model year/purchase date: 2008
Purchase price: $300
Color/style: Silver
Visor option: clear
Other features or accessories: pinlock system for the visor; chin curtain.
Wind noise level (1-5): 5
Weight (1-5): 3
Aero stability (1-5):
Build quality (1-5): 5
Other notes: Wind noise is quiet with the visor closed or all the way open. It's noisiest when I crack it open a notch. This helmet fits me well. Snug enough that I can't add much between me and the helmet, but no pressure points or uncomfortable spots anywhere. The only negatives have been how easily the visor fogs up, and that it sometimes feels sauna-like without the visor cracked open a notch.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Model:Mainframe
Make:Icon
Model year/purchase date:8/07
Purchase price:$159
Color/style:Silver, full face
Visor option:Clear and large variety of others $25 each. Easy to switch out IMO
Other features or accessories:Removable cheek pads
Wind noise level (1-5):4
Ventilation (1-5):4
Weight (1-5):5
Aero stability (1-5):4
Build quality (1-5):4
Paint/finish quality (1-5):3
Comfort (1-5):5
Overall impression (1-5):4
Other notes:visor fogs up quickly on cold days when fully closed even at speed and with a fresh washing and treatment. This could be due to the barn door in front of me thus no significant air flow to the helmet itself. Otherwise it remains cool even on a hot day with the visor slightly cracked or half way open. Fitment is a perfect snug for me and I can wear it all day with no discomfort.

·
Premium Member
13,226 Posts
Model: RF 1000
Make: Shoei
Model year/purchase date: 6/07
Purchase price: $125
Color/style: Silver / Full Face
Visor option: Clear Stock
Other features or accessories: Breath guard/ Chin netting
Wind noise level (1-5): 3 (Varies)
Weight (1-5): 5
Aero stability (1-5): 5
Build quality (1-5): 3
Other notes: Noise can be problematic sometimes, however, I cannot pin down what the cause is. Is it environmental (Cross/Headwinds in the afternoon)? Is it the clothing I'm wearing affecting airflow? Is it my position on the saddle affecting airflow? A lot of variables that I cannot pin point. Sometimes it's quiet. Sometimes it's average. Sometimes it's noisy.

On build quality. The rear vent flap and the front vent flap both are loose. They don't stay in position at all. Top vents are solid and secure. On a hot day, tilt your chin towards your chest and the helmet fills up with cool air.

I paid such a cheap price for the helmet through Cycle Gear dot com's eBay auctions. I gambled on it. The description said it was scratched up possibly dropped with photographs. I could get a reasonable x-ray (free) done on the helmet at the time so I took the gamble. When the helmet arrived. It was of course brand new. The scratches. They were glue goo turned dirty where someone removed the factory stickers to put the helmet on display. The x-ray checked out, and I have worn it ever since.

It is a very light, and comfortable helmet that is easy on the neck. When the helmet is out in the wind by itself the aero stability is very good. It seems to cut through the wind well and puts little strain on the rider.

I've been very satisfied with this helmet, and I'd buy another. When I wore my old HJC. I was constantly on the lookout for a new lid. With the Shoei, a new lid hasn't even crossed my mind.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Scorpion EXO-1000

Model: EXO-1000 Apollo
Make: Scorpion
Model year/purchase date: 09/ 12/09
Purchase price: 236
Color/style: silver
Visor option: clear
Other features or accessories: air-fit cheek pads, ever clear no fog face sheild, drop down sun sheild, breath deflector
Wind noise level (1-5): 5
Ventilation (1-5): 5
Weight (1-5): 4
Aero stability (1-5): 5
Overall impression (1-5): 5
Other notes: Wind noise, with the face sheild closed and the cheek pads "pumped up" I don't hear hardly any noise, except the voices in my head.

Ventilation may bother some but down here in Florida it comes in very handy.

Weight, I think the 1000 is heavier than the 400 but I can't tell the difference, but I do have a 20 inch neck.

The face sheild sort of works like a Shoei, it has a lever on the side that locks it in place or just lifts the sheild up a hair. One of the reasons I picked this helmet is because of the drop down sun sheild. It comes with a light smoke but I also got the dark smoke. It drops down and retracts with ease and is a great when the sun is out.

Stability is a hugh difference over the EXO-400 I have. The helmet has a "spoiler" that ao far I have not noticed any buffeting at all.

The Rebok pump style cheek pads may seem like a gemic but they do work. Just remember to release the pressure before taking the helmet off, your ears will thank you.

Overall I am very pleased with it and would buy it again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts