Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do helmet speakers work well at high speed or are they drowned out by wind and road noise? I've read that a good set of earphones is better but are they comfortable enough inside a helmet?

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I've tried everything. Helment speakers are worst.
You had a crappy installation then, friend.

My helmet speakers work perfectly fine, and they allow me to hear the traffic around me. Some in-ear earbuds will block out the ambient sound and could put you in a bit of a fix.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Shure E2c sound isolating earphones...fit perfectly with the ff helmet, block out just enough wind and road noise to be safe. you will still hear your pipes, honking, a little bit of road noise...just not the annoying wind.

·
Dastardly villain
1,700 Posts
I have done both scenarios, plus a third.

Helmet speakers will work well, as long as you take your time and do a quality installation. Also the quality of the speakers matters alot too. I tucked mine into the padding right near where the chin strap attaches and ran the wires inbetween the padding and poked the plug out the back/bottom of the helmet. If you run an extender from the music device to the plug you won't have to constantly readjust the wires if they are bugging your face.

Earbuds work well also. I am the type of person that cannot stand them though. They make my ears hurt after 20 minutes. It goes without saying but you have to always have to readjust and take them out whenever you remove the helmet. I also find that they will fall out on occasion.

The third option is the best I have found overall. It is the most costly of the three. Handlebar mounted speakers. This isn't for everyone as it may take away from the looks of the bike to some. I will try to find the link to the pair I bought and they are relatively cheap compared to other set-ups. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
171 Posts
just can't see handlebar speakers to be viable on the m50...maybe the c50 with it's big windshield though...

Anyways, I used both and really prefer the helmet speakers. Mine aren't great so ya, have to crank the source on the highway but the convenience is MUCH better than earbuds, which usually pull out when you put on the helmet.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have run the earbuds with the changeable tips to fit my ear. They sound good, but can cause pain on long rides. I am going to the ear doctor on Monday to get custom made filtered earplugs. The filters knock all noise down to 80 db. This will allow helmet speakers to still work, and knock out all wind noise. They are silicone, and formed to my ears. You can also buy them custom fitted with speakers in them. Similar to these: Earinc/Insta-Mold - Filtered Earplugs and these: Earinc/Insta-Mold - iPlugz Sports Monitors - custom headphone stereo monitors for iPod, MP3 players and other audio devices.. I will like them the most on the police bike as I will still hear through my comset, but won't have to tolerate the 130db siren at my knee.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've had the same problems with earbud headphones. I couldn't find any that either wouldn't hurt my ear after 20 minutes, or wouldn't fall out from the vibration. I finally found a great combination that works really well for me. I use "The Plug" earbuds made by Koss. Not to be confused with their "Sparkplug" style. The latter stick out too far and will get crushed into your ear from the helmet.

Then I discarded the tips that come with them and bought a custom rubber suction-cup style tip on ebay for a couple bucks. These allow the earbuds to really get into the ear and stay there without pinching off the sound.

Then I mounted a waterproof wireless remote for my iPod made by Monster to my handlebars. This allows me to change songs, volume, or pause it when I'm in town and need to hear traffic around me. Saves me the hassle of having to dig into my jacket and fumble around for it. All in all, a very satisfying setup in my opinion. My roommate has a VTX, and he uses the exact same setup and loves it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have run the earbuds with the changeable tips to fit my ear. They sound good, but can cause pain on long rides. I am going to the ear doctor on Monday to get custom made filtered earplugs. The filters knock all noise down to 80 db. This will allow helmet speakers to still work, and knock out all wind noise. They are silicone, and formed to my ears. You can also buy them custom fitted with speakers in them. Similar to these: Earinc/Insta-Mold - Filtered Earplugs and these: Earinc/Insta-Mold - iPlugz Sports Monitors - custom headphone stereo monitors for iPod, MP3 players and other audio devices.. I will like them the most on the police bike as I will still hear through my comset, but won't have to tolerate the 130db siren at my knee.
I have custom molded ear plugs that I use went I shoot sporting clays and skeet. There is a store at the Mall of America that will do the injection molds then send you the custom ear plugs with buds in them for IPODs.

I am with alot of people any regular earbuds sucked.

·
Registered
209 Posts
For those who want to try earbuds, on the cheap, I suggest Skullcandy Ink'd smokin' buds earbuds. I found them at Circuit City for $10 ea on Black Friday normally about $30. They come with multiple sizes of ear silicone adapters for different sized ear canal openings. The drivers are 11mm and have very good response. For those riders who have multiple sources (GPS, radar detector and Tunes) to feed to your helmet check out the AmpliRider.

The AmpliRider : An Amplifier for Motorcycle Riders - More Information and Pictures

Real clean sound, and a volume ( a little or a lot) control for your handlebar. It can be used for in helmet speakers or earbuds. Last year I used headphones instead of speakers taken apart and placed in the helmet. Mixed bag. This year I will give the earbuds a try. Suggestion: put red nail polish on right earbud body...

VtWoodChuck

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used the headphones that came with my ipod on my last long trip (500mi). They worked well, except for my right ear after about thirty minutes. I would usually start with it in, then after the alloted time I would just reach up and take it out. Why did I not start with it out? I am young and I was hopeful that each time I took to the road something would be different.

I am hoping to find a nice pair of the true ear plug style on the cheap somehwere soon. For in town and sunday drives I dont listen to music at all. One of my buddies has a set of 2 way radios we use for hunting and when riding up in the mountains we have those in so we can chat if we see something cool or just for random communication. On the long, straight highway rides I like to listen to the music.
I do think the wireless handlebar mount controller would be really great to have though. I am going to look those up after I post this, and play some poker on facebook, haha. Sorry, off the subject. But I usually just create a good 4 or 5 hour playlist of songs I like and just let it be.
MS

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have done both scenarios, plus a third.

Helmet speakers will work well, as long as you take your time and do a quality installation. Also the quality of the speakers matters alot too. I tucked mine into the padding right near where the chin strap attaches and ran the wires inbetween the padding and poked the plug out the back/bottom of the helmet. If you run an extender from the music device to the plug you won't have to constantly readjust the wires if they are bugging your face.
I would also like to try Helmet speakers, I used earbuds last year, worked OK but can get a little sore on long trips.
I really like the idea of an extender cable. Do you have any suggestions for better quality helmet speakers?

Thanks, Dean

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
If its just a case of getting rid of the wind noise and not just a case of wanting to listen to music while riding, Try ear plugs that are used in noisy enviroments. Thats what i use,they work well enough for me. :D

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I would also like to try Helmet speakers, I used earbuds last year, worked OK but can get a little sore on long trips.
I really like the idea of an extender cable. Do you have any suggestions for better quality helmet speakers?

Thanks, Dean
I use a set of IMC Motorcom HS-200's which work out quite nicely.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, well I suppose that can work for the first four or five hours, but I'm going to give the HS200's a try, and if they don't work for me I have a set of Etymotic Research ER6i in-ear earphones on order.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I feel a little out of place here....i ...well i'll just say it.

I LIKE THE SOUND OF THE WIND OKAY!!!????

<sniff>

I'd rather hear what's coming, i won't wear earphones. But then again...my bike sounds awesome, and I paid to make it sound that way...why would I want to drown that out now?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts