Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are all helmets in general waterproof or just "water resistant?"

I have a Vega full face, modular with a flip visor, I got caught Monday in a pretty good downpour. I had quite a few drops comming in and dripping down the back of my glasses, and I did remember to close the forehead vent. Is this unusual?

-Sandman

·
Registered
538 Posts
I would say you get what you pay for in terms of helmets being water proof I own a shoei X-Eleven and I got caught in a pretty bad storm on the 4th of July with all vents closed, the only water that got inside my helmet was when I opened the face shield no water came through my vents.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I've got an HJC Symax, modular design. No trouble in downpours either.

Maybe carry a plastic bag and place it over your helmet to keep the rain out.

:jk:

·
Premium Member
11,304 Posts
I had a Vega modular and it didn't leak. After the wreck I'm in the market for a new one. I was't happy with all the wind noise with the Vega.

How quiet is that HJC BB?

·
Registered
933 Posts
drgibson said:
I had a Vega modular and it didn't leak. After the wreck I'm in the market for a new one. I was't happy with all the wind noise with the Vega.

How quiet is that HJC BB?

I have nothing to compare to, it's my one and only. I do wear ear plugs for extended rides and highway speeds, and did note less fatigue once I began doing that, so I would say things were loud enough to affect me.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
No problem with my HJC.

I someone told that on his Shoei (an older one) on heavy downpours, water was getting in through the vents...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks folks, I don't plan on making a habit of riding in the rain, but if it happens again, maybe some strategically placed duct tape in leiu of the plastic bag or umbrella hat. :rolleyes:

Naw, I'll just deal with it. It may be a little bit leaky, but I like the helmet; comfortable, quiet enough (nothing else yet to compare it to) and does have good airflow with the vents open.

-Sandman

·
Registered
78 Posts
The only time I have rain getting into my Shoei is if the top vent is open. I also had problems with splashback blowing up UNDER my chin and getting the inside of my visor & glasses all misty.

A Respro Foggy facemask eliminated ALL splashback and fogging, no matter what the weather. Sorry for the shameless plug but sometimes you stumble upon a product that far exceeds your expectations, and this facemask is one of those. Highly reccommended!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Helmets are generally water-resistant and it does enter your eyes unless you close the visor. If the water has gone at the back of your glasses, this seems pretty unusual.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts