Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to me intruder 1400. I tore down the whole bike and rebuilt/painted every part except the wiring harness. When I got the bike, the stator was bad and the connector to the fuse block had a little blackening on it. I pigtailed a new connector on it. I unwrapped the entire harness and checked it completely for any breaks etc. and the rest of the wiring looked good. So, come the day the bike is put back together and I am connecting the battery last. Just as I touch the negative to the battery, I hear the clicking of the side stand neutral relay and the headlight goes on, the front turn signal lights light up continuously, the neutral light and the oil light also light up. None of the controls work like it is, with the key in the off position, except for the headlight dimmer switch. when i turn the key and try to start the bike, it turns over.

I went back and checked every wire for continuity and inspected every connection and it all looks sound. Any troubleshooting ideas greatly appreciated. I am at a dead end. I have no idea where to go from here, except throw money at it and buy a whole new harness. which, I think, is pretty expensive.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
This sounds a lot like a missing ground at or near the headlight or "dashboard".
But yet it is a bit different with the ignition OFF.
Maybe the ignition switch itself ?
It does have more than one set of contacts, doesn't it ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I thought the same thing with the ground, but all the wires from the headlight tested visually and with a tester. I also took the ignition switch apart and the mechanism is sound, meaning it turns and the other switches on the bike don't work with the key off, but everything does work when I turn the key to the run position. I also checked the contacts and the wires for continuity. Thanks again for the suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Have you connected the battery with ALL of the wires to the ignition switch disconnected ?

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Yes, I did. It changes nothing.
Well then you have a short in the wiring somewhere.
Might be corrosion on or near the fuse block.
It might be instructive to remove the fuses one at a time while the battery is connected.
If all the offending lights go out when one fuse is removed, that should narrow down the problem a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts