Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an Intruder. Didn't know what I was doing. I don't have a license yet and needed something to practice on so I bought my friend's bike not realizing what was wrong with it. The horn doesn't work. How do I fix it? The turn signals are gone - which led turn signals would you suggest I buy?
Brake light works unless I pull front brake handle all the way back hard. How do I fix? I'm willing to learn. I'm willing to make mistakes. I want to do it myself. Any good videos you'd recommend? Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought an Intruder. Didn't know what I was doing. I don't have a license yet and needed something to practice on so I bought my friend's bike not realizing what was wrong with it. The horn doesn't work. How do I fix it? The turn signals are gone - which led turn signals would you suggest I buy?
Brake light works unless I pull front brake handle all the way back hard. How do I fix? I'm willing to learn. I'm willing to make mistakes. I want to do it myself. Any good videos you'd recommend? Thank you.
First get the shop manual for that bike, don't bother with any of the knockoffs ie. Hayes, etc. Wiring diagrams will help you get out of trouble. Also look on line for microfiche - diagrams of each bike subsystem. Some of the parts may be unobtainium and will need a substitute (my 1982 GS650 needed a few of these). Note and photograph where wires, cables are located now (they may be wrong, but it'll help in the future.)
Next take a motorcycle course - you'd be surprised at what you know and have to learn. Stuff like how to pick up the bike after you drop it, why you wear a helmet, and proper riding clothes. Practice on someone's scooter.😁

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would contact a couple high schools and/or trade schools that teach mechanical shop classes and have them work in your bike to get it safe and running. I would think they would charge you a lot less money than a shop would.

·
Super Moderator
12,786 Posts
I think you should've bought a smaller bike to learn on.
AND one without so many problem.
There may be MANY more that you aren't aware of yet.
I suggest that you should cut your losses and shop for a different bike.

A bike that is over 30 years old is NOT a good choice for a first time rider......who is not already a skilled mechanic.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dear newbie motorcycle owner. Congrats on your first bike? Don’t know which is worse....losing and trusting an alleged ‘friend’ from whom you purchased a ‘money pit’ machine....or your current angst (as opposed to jubilation) you must be currently feeling for being in your predicament......or sorry these negatives aren’t helping. i don’t know but maybe your Intruder May be something close to a ‘collector’ bike? Anyhow, best of luck with your new bike, and I would recommend you learn on a small (150 to 300 cc) used Japanese bike ...lot less downside (financial and skill acquisition) when you start small and cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts