Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, im new to the forum and the gsxr so I'll start by saying hello and thanks in advance for any help. Anyway, I just bought a 99 gsxr600 that doesn't quite run right. The problem is anytime i twist the throttle, the bike just shuts off. No hesitation, just instantly shuts off. It starts up and idles perfectly. The previous owner tried to figure it out and had the carbs off, cleaned, and played around with them but didnt get anywhere. I was thinking it may be something electrical like the ignition. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
100% Title Free
1,516 Posts
Seems like there could be numerous causes... not sure where your mechanical skill level is at, but it's always best to start with the basics; fuel, air, and spark. Do yourself a favor and pick up a repair manual, too... that should at least help you get started.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sounds like the carbs are gummed up at this point and will require a full cleaning. You are not getting fuel correctly.

·
Super Moderator
13,153 Posts
The problem is anytime i twist the throttle, the bike just shuts off. No hesitation, just instantly shuts off. It starts up and idles perfectly.
Just to be sure we've got the obvious covered first............

Do you use the "choke" to start it?
If you let it warm up thoroughly does it still stall on throttle?
What happens if you open the throttle VERY slowly?
Does it act any differently if you apply some choke (ie-warm up, close choke some, slowly open throttle)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carbs have been cleaned and taken off a few times so I'm pretty sure it's not them. And everything possilbe has been done with the choke, warm up, etc. Warming the bike up doesn't make any difference. I still think it's something electrical, just trying to see if anyone else has had the same problem.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Please fill out your profile so we don't have to scroll to the first post to see what bike we're talking about.

It doesn't sound electrical to me. I think it's running lean. How were the carbs cleaned? Were the air screws reset properly? Did the previous owner know what he was doing? Are the jets stock?

·
Super Moderator
13,153 Posts
Carbs have been cleaned and taken off a few times so I'm pretty sure it's not them. And everything possilbe has been done with the choke, warm up, etc. Warming the bike up doesn't make any difference. I still think it's something electrical, just trying to see if anyone else has had the same problem.
OK fine, we'll play it your way:
No, nobody in the history of the world has ever had that exact problem.
You are on your own.
Good luck.
:fight1:

·
Registered
754 Posts
I am 99% sure that the problem is still in the carbs, I have work on several bikes that have done the same thing. Usually I have found the problem in the throttle slides not working correctly.

When you open the throttle you are opening a butterfly, not rasing a throttle slide. When you open the butterfly, the vaccuum is supposed to raise the throttle slides and I am betting it is not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
howdy, it sound like to me that your mid range is lean, has the bike got a new k/n filter, pipe?
the needles will need to be shimed as the bike came lean at around 5000 rpm's, take the slides out buy needle shims avalible at bike shop, remove the needle holder from inside the slide, be carefull as it usually is a 1/4 turn, pull the holder out, next push up on the needle, be carefull as there could be a washer on top, next take your new shims and slide them over the pointy end of the needle, i usually use two, if a pipe and filter has been installed, they are .5 mm thick, so two would raise the needle by 1.0mm, slide the needle back down the slide and reinstall the needle holder, do all carbs,, note your carb may have a adjustable needle, if it has a c-clip you want to remove the clip and place it one step down, this will raise the needle and like the shims will richen the mid range, put it all back together, find the pilot mixture screws remove the caps, and close the screws gently then back them out twice as much but not more than three turns, usually 1.5, maybe 2..
next sync the carbs, and go for a ride, wheely at will..

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I dont think you will hear anything back from him...the last post was in 2007 and that was people stating he wouldnt post the result

1 - 16 of 16 Posts