Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 96 Intruder which was running excellent. Didn't start it for 6 months and now it won't start.

I am not getting any spark. The starter turns. It is getting gas.
Someone was telling me about a reset button but I took my bike apart and still can't find that button.

I have done the following:
1. Got a new battery
2. Changed Spark Plugs
3. Checked the fuel line
4. Cleaned and check all possible lines
5. Cleaned Carbs

Thanks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you've confirmed you are getting no spark to your plugs, then you know your problem is electrical.

Next step:

Remove the cover to your points and make sure you are getting spark through your points. If no spark at your points, then you gotta trace back between your battery and your points. That would likely point to a voltage regulator etc. that controls the power that goes to your contacts and on to your plugs. Check wiring diagram in Clymer or Haynes manual. You will have to pull the seat and tank off to see things easier. Basically you need to just backtrack it back to your batter. A voltage tester is very useful, so you can more quickly find out where power isn't getting to.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Electrical Problems?

Drake said:
If you've confirmed you are getting no spark to your plugs, then you know your problem is electrical.

Next step:

Remove the cover to your points and make sure you are getting spark through your points. If no spark at your points, then you gotta trace back between your battery and your points. That would likely point to a voltage regulator etc. that controls the power that goes to your contacts and on to your plugs. Check wiring diagram in Clymer or Haynes manual. You will have to pull the seat and tank off to see things easier. Basically you need to just backtrack it back to your batter. A voltage tester is very useful, so you can more quickly find out where power isn't getting to.

Good Luck.
Drake,

I never messed with the electrical parts. Could that still be a possibility? I will still try that though.

Thanks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
OK... when you said you had no spark, you just meant that you couldn't get it started?

Pull one of your plugs out of the engine, one at a time, and turn the engine over. Make sure each has spark (steps here are remove one, lay it on the engine, turn engine over and look for spark, replace it in its hole and do the next one).

If all your plugs have spark, then you have 1 key for ignition.

Check your choke. Is it on or off? I should most definitely be on if you haven't run it in 6 weeks.

How are you sure you have fuel flow? Does the engine smell flooded after you've been turning it over for a bit? If so, open that choke up, let it air for a while, and then try starting it with the throttle opened up a bit.

You need to debug what the cause is for your lack of ignition. Rule out electrical first. If your plugs are sparking, then you just worry about your fuel and air mixture (since compression failures usually don't happen with the bike just sitting still for a period of time).

Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No Luck Here

Drake said:
OK... when you said you had no spark, you just meant that you couldn't get it started?

Pull one of your plugs out of the engine, one at a time, and turn the engine over. Make sure each has spark (steps here are remove one, lay it on the engine, turn engine over and look for spark, replace it in its hole and do the next one).

If all your plugs have spark, then you have 1 key for ignition.

Check your choke. Is it on or off? I should most definitely be on if you haven't run it in 6 weeks.

How are you sure you have fuel flow? Does the engine smell flooded after you've been turning it over for a bit? If so, open that choke up, let it air for a while, and then try starting it with the throttle opened up a bit.

You need to debug what the cause is for your lack of ignition. Rule out electrical first. If your plugs are sparking, then you just worry about your fuel and air mixture (since compression failures usually don't happen with the bike just sitting still for a period of time).

Good Luck.
Hi Drake,

Tried all that. No luck as of yet. I am just about to give up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well hold on a minute...

What was the results of your checking?

You have spark to your plugs?

You're sure you have fuel flowing into the carbs and into the cylinders? (after turning it over for a bit, you should smell some gasoline in the air).

Have you tried disconnecting your air filter, and spraying some starter spray into the carbs (just a quick spirt), then tried starting it with the throttle open?

Keep giving me info on what you tested and the results and I can try to help you with next steps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still Not Working

Hi Drake,

I tried that. I smelled gas, choke on & off, check fluids, batteries, and just no combustion.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts