Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Integrated Tail light all installed. Had problems but figured them out

Hi all,

I am in the middle of this and need help as soon as posible!!!!!!!!!!!!

I planed to install my integrated tail light assembly today, but I am having trouble getting the tail/brake light out, and figuring out the turn signal wiring instructions.

PART - 1)

I took out the two bottom screws, but could not find the 3rd one, so I took out the two side bolts for the main assembly and poped out the snapins at the top.

I moved the main assembly out as far as I could, and found the top screw for the tail light, and removed it, but can not get it to come out of the assembly. It seems that the rubber gromets are keeping it from coming off.

What am I missing?

PART - 2

The instructions give two ways to wire the turn signals.

1) Cut the wire on the motorcycle and use the small wire end connector. (RECOMMENDED)
I believe that this would render the factory turn signals unusable, as this is only a two wire connector, and a three wire would be required to keep the factory signals.

2) Splice into the wire using the large red in line splice connector.
This would still allow the factory turn signals to work.

I want to keep the factory turn signals, but whe exactly is the cut and connect method recommended?

Also, I want to unplug the turn signals wires to get better access to these wires. How do I unplg these plugs?

Thanks for quick help, if possible,
ONB

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Oooohh, I wish I could help but I've never done that myself!!
I am sure you will get somebody to respond...there are lots of guys here with a lot of knowledge.

I hope you you get help soon.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Got the light out, but have wiring questions.

The instructions give two ways to wire the turn signals.

1) Cut the wire on the motorcycle and use the small wire end connector. (RECOMMENDED)
I believe that this would render the factory turn signals unusable, as this is only a two wire connector, and a three wire would be required to keep the factory signals.

2) Splice into the wire using the large red in line splice connector.
This would still allow the factory turn signals to work.

I want to keep the factory turn signals, but whe exactly is the cut and connect method recommended?

Also, I want to unplug the turn signals wires to get better access to these wires. How do I unplg these plugs?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
All done.

Tail light works, brake light works, turn signals work, both factory and integrated.

I had a much rougher job than most of you did, but I got it done.
Took several hours to complete, but I spent time thinking of what to do at certain points in the job.

Thanks for all the threads and explainationsl,
ONB

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Glad we could help. J/K. I'm glad it was successful procedure.

Now....
:wwpics:
It looks exactly the same as it did before, as I did not remove anything. I am still using the factory turn signals, and the license plate is still in the factory position. Here is a pic from a month ago, after installing my bags and easy brackets. BTW, that is not a crack in the lens. It is a small leaf/twig stuck to it.

The confusing thing was that I remember reading here somewhere that only 3 screws need to be removed in order to take out the tail light portion of the assembly, but I also had to remove the black bezal around the light for it to actualy come off the assembly, which in turn required the removal of the entire assembly from the fender in order to get to the top clips for this bezal.

Anyway, once it was all apart, everything was clear, well sort of clear.

Removing the main assembly from the fender also gave much better access to the wiring plugs, so that they could be unplugged, and the unit could be completely separated from the fender, allowing me to hold the unit in my lap for the turn signal wire splicing.

Also, at first I did not cut quite deep enough with the dremal, and cracked the outer edge off of one of the rounded corners, but this is completely covered by the bezal. I also could not get the super glue to set up on on end, but the other end and most of the two long sides seemed to be set up, and the hot glue seemed to lock at all in place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts