Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my name is vadim and im new to the forum. this is my first post so sorry if i screw it up. :twisted:
alright the deal is i live in brooklyn new york. and im looking for a new cruiser to buy. for me bigger is better. im looking for something with low miles 5k and less and reliable obviously. my budget is $4,000 and less. ive been looking for bikes but not with much success so i turned to the forums to help me find love aka a motorcycle! thank you in advance. send me links near me and suggestions for what to look for are also very welcome!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,338 Posts
for me bigger is better.
Please explain that a bit.

For most people, bigger is NOT better.......especially if you are a new rider AND in congested big cities like NYC.

So......how big a person are you?
And what motorcycle experience do you have ?
And if you get one, where will it be parked each night ??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well for me bigger is better. and im 6ft, 140lbs i have about 2 days of experience now. its parked on my apt buildings parking lot. speaking of that i just bought a 06' shadow spirit 750 with 2100 miles on it 2 days ago. learned to ride it same day and put 20 miles on it for %%%%s and giggles. bike first felt heavy but now im getting used to it and already put about 60 miles on it as of today. and got my permit earlier today too. so thanks for the help i guess?? i love the bike

·
Super Moderator
12,338 Posts
Hope it works out for you.

The Shadow 750 is not considered a "big" bike but isn't on my list for new riders either, partly because of size and weight and partly because the handling tends to be "stiff".
Be sure you keep the tire pressure up where it should be.

Hope your parking lot is covered......because a bike sitting out in the weather all the time will "age" rapidly, especially one that is already 12 years old.

And then......you NEED a complete service check before you ride it very much.
It might very well need over $500 in critical service items.....like tires which need to be changed about every 5 years no matter what they LOOK like.
Then there is brake fluid and hoses.
And coolant and hoses.
And maybe a chain....if it is chain drive and it looks rusty.

I pretty much can't think of a worse place for a new rider to be learning to ride.....except maybe for Chicago.
I wish you luck.

A new rider training course is HIGHLY recommended.

·
Registered
70 Posts
hi I have a gz 250 over 16k on it & it is perfect fit not top heavy that is most imporant to know otherwise it will be very hard to handle on the st. oh by the waqy its 18 years old, mint new condition in short look for the ease of service, not speed

·
Super Moderator
12,338 Posts
I loved my GZ. Took it on a 2000 mile road trip and had a blast.
It tended to handle too easy for me; I had a problem occasionally with over-steer.

Not sure it would be a good choice for somebody who is 6 foot tall though.

P.S. I put a larger front sprocket on mine (+1 tooth) and it made it ride a LOT better.
Have you considered trying that ?
Easy/cheap to do and easy to put back if you don't like it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do yourself a favor, Steer clear of the shop on Coney Island Ave.. I lived in Brooklyn for 8 years and when I decided to buy a bike, being that they were within walking distance from my apt., they were the first place I went to. I was there for about 15 min. before someone decided to ask me if I needed help. I was in about same situation as you money wise, I had $5000.00 on hand and was willing to finance a few bucks. When the guy found out that I wasn't interested in one of the many left over Bolts they had he lost interest in talking to me. He told me that he had just the bike for me coming in 2 days so I left my name and address. 2 days later I popped in to see if the bike came in. The guy didn't recognize me or remember telling me about the trade in. After I got home, I spoke to a couple of bikers on my block and they told me to avoid that place like the plague. I ended up searching online, Cycletrader.com , etc. and came across Island PowerSports in Massapequa on Sunrise Highway. They carry Yamaha, Star, Kawasaki and Suzuki and are super helpful. They had some nice leftovers but the salesman suggested that since I hadn't ridden in 25 years, that I spend less and go used. I ended up with a 2008 Suzuki M50 that had 5,000 miles on it. I got it out the door for $4300.00. Sometimes it's worth traveling.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts