Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Where can I find the pipes pictured here?

IMG_2372.jpg

Also, where can I find similar pipes that are low profile, don't proceed past the driver's seat, and point downwards?

Are there any drawbacks to having these pipes, and what do they sound like?

I'm thinking on slimming up the rear around the brake light, but don't want to invest all that and still have huge pipes hanging out back there. I'd also like to get some bags, and the stock pipes limit the size bags I can throw on.

Thanks in advance! ~ ALEX

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
They look a lot like these Morton Stalker pipes. Sorry about the small pic.

·
Super Moderator
12,794 Posts
Are there any drawbacks to having these pipes, and what do they sound like?
Most all pipes made like that are louder than crap........to the point of being dangerous to your hearing. Honestly.
Commonly called drag pipes or short shots.

·
Leg Humps The Snap On Tool Man
1,477 Posts
Pretty sure those are Highway Hawk pipes. Not US made but imported and available. A bit spendy as I recall.

NMc

·
Registered
821 Posts
The stock pipes are monsters and feel like they're half the weight of the damn bike. There several pipes out there that are much much smaller in diameter than the stockers. Mines are 2.5 inches compared to the stockers thats tiny. Also If you go in black the pipes will stand out less so you have options. If you have your heart set on the shorts I suggest you purchase some earplugs to ride with as well.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your help! Love the look of these, and I'd love to have some extra volume, especially if it sounds like some of those on youtube!

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
The stock pipes are monsters and feel like they're half the weight of the damn bike. There several pipes out there that are much much smaller in diameter than the stockers. Mines are 2.5 inches compared to the stockers thats tiny. Also If you go in black the pipes will stand out less so you have options. If you have your heart set on the shorts I suggest you purchase some earplugs to ride with as well.
I think it's more the heat shield/chrome cover that's big on the stock pipes. When I got mine off and looked at them they were actually noticeably smaller than the V&H Cruzers I put on.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Those could be the Highway Hawk Turn downs. They were around $700 when I was looking for pipes. Way overpriced if you ask me. The most popular pipes around here are the cobra's and Vance & Hines. They both look really sharp on this bike and don't stick way out past the rear of the bike. Since you want noise, look at Cobra Streetrods, and Vance&Hines Straightshots. The V&H cruisers are nice but not loud enough in my opinion. I have the straight shots and love them. My avatar on the left shows the rear of my bike with the V&H staightshots. If you're really set on this style, there is also another type called Morton Violators.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone know where I can purchase the Highway Hawk turndowns? I've contacted mfifyguy but haven't received a response yet.

Jardine's site doesn't have pics of their pipes to see which is this style that I like! I really want to keep the pipes forward of the rear wheel. I love the look of a tight, clean, symmetrical back end.

Thanks again for everyone's help. This has been fantastic!

·
1,477 Posts
I think it's more the heat shield/chrome cover that's big on the stock pipes. When I got mine off and looked at them they were actually noticeably smaller than the V&H Cruzers I put on.
Ditto that. The inside diameter of the stock pipes vs my VH Straightshots is noticeably different. You can find HighwayHawk pipes on eBay from time to time. Pipes are fairly easy to modify with high temp grill or exhaust paint, a pipe cutter, or debaffleing or baffle slip in pieces.

NMc

·
Registered
821 Posts
Uhh duh i know that lol. His statement before was not wanting to have big ass things on the back of his bike for looks which of course means the heat shields. I was talking about the entire assembly of the exhaust obviously.

·
1,477 Posts
Yeah sorry man, it started like you were referring to to cans then jumped to pipe size. Somewhere I got lost. It happens.

NMc

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, so highway hawks are discontinued. Any other pipes out there that end b4 the back of the driver's seat?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I don't know how available they are, but search "Morton Violators". Somebody on the forum has a set.

Edit: I should mention, although these pipes are short like you are looking for, I'm pretty sure they have no heat shields, so they will turn blue near the motor after a while.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Google is your friend:

mortons

·
Registered
551 Posts
Will V&H straight shots turn blue? How about Cobra street rods? Which are louder?
Neither will turn blue because they have heat shields. I've never heard the cobra's so I can't say which is louder. My understanding is they are pretty close in sound so just buy the style you like better.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts