Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I put the key in the ignition the speedometer isn't coming on...only when I turn on the High beam then the blue high beam light will come on an thats it. The front headlights come on but the back tailights an turn signals don't come on. I dont think it is the battery because I gave it a full charge. Anybody have any ideas to why this is happening? My bike sounds like it runs fine and everything but its just that the speedometer doesn't seem to have any power, is that also why the back tailights and turn signals aren't coming on or is that another problem i have to worry about. I wonder how much its going to cost me...

btw: ever since my speedometer stopped powering on, my bike starts without the kickstand up...does the speedometer control that much stuff???

Edit: It is a 2003 Gsx-r 750

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Louis is right. Check all your fuses to begin with. Sounds like a ground or short has bypassed the kickstand sensor and blown a fuse.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah It happened to be a fuse on the signal side. I never bothered looking at that fuse because I didn't think that would cause the WHOLE speedometer to stop working. Thanks for the info guys

EDIT: While Im already here, does anyone know how much it costs to repair a fairing that is mildly damaged...nothin cracked just a few scrapes an scuffs?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Good thing you found the fix, I was about to suggest the problem-solving hammer...

And about the fairing, I'm sure you could take it to a reputable body shop and they can sand/paint it for you, my friend had his whole bike done for under $500.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just bought a brand new, just-painted set of [House Of Kolor] Euro Red fairings for my 2000 GSX-R600.. $402 bucks plus shipping. I didn't even expect to win the auction.. but 400 bucks for a COMPLETE set of brand new plastics? Whew, I'll take them!

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Liqwed said:
Yeah It happened to be a fuse on the signal side. I never bothered looking at that fuse because I didn't think that would cause the WHOLE speedometer to stop working. Thanks for the info guys

EDIT: While Im already here, does anyone know how much it costs to repair a fairing that is mildly damaged...nothin cracked just a few scrapes an scuffs?
Now that you found the fuse blown, what caused it? Changed out your signals or tail light to aftermarket stuff? Drawing to much current? Might want to analyze it and correct it before you have an electrical melt down.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, my taillight bulb was loose so i screwed it on while the engine was on (Stupid me!) so pretty much solved that problem! About the fairing, I just found the left fairing on Ebay and won the auction for $120. All I'm hoping for is that this guy really sends the item heh. Well $120 for a left fairing would be cheaper than if I was to get it repaired? The fairing I had that was damaged was not cracked or anything, just decals came off and need a bit of sanding an paint. I will try to post a pic if possible. I have a 2003 GSX-R 750 but when I look for fairings for it some are blue/white/black, but mines is just white/blue...strange? Ya been alot of help thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts