Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Lors, it seems that you don't have much experience on a motorcycle yourself.

If you are riding in the blind spot, it's your fault. You have to ride defensively at all times - you have to think for all of the other drivers on the road, since they are mostly not thinking. You have to ride like you are invisible, because in most cases, you are.

Loud pipes don't change that fact at all. People drive while talking on the phone. People drive while listening to loud music. People drive at 55+ mph with the windows open and have loud wind noise in their car. Your loud pipes won't be heard until you pass them - when it's too late to have any potential safety impact for you.

If the sound of your bike is your only concern, you haven't understood riding at all. The feeling of being "outside the cage", enjoying the sights, sounds and smells that are often lost when you're in a car. Having a wide view of nature, not limited by the windshield, roof and hood of the car. The feeling of leaning into a curve and being part of the ride, rather than just being strapped into a seat and not "feeling" the road at all. Understanding that the journey can be more fun than the destination. And much more.

There's a lot more to riding than just making noise and drawing (mostly negative) attention to yourself.

Think about it.
I'm not from your country. Where I'm from, loud pipes are accepted and again, it helps inattentive drivers.

Like I said, its different everywhere. If you had even a little experience driving where I'm from you would understand. The noise level and chaos is incredibly high. You need to do more to be noticed. Some riding clubs here even require their members to wear reflector vests. That's just the way it is.

Our mayor, who rides himself, went on air to oppose the pipe-mod ordinance that outlawed loud pipes - he said "loud pipes save lives."

And many agree. Like I said, it's accepted here. Even non-riders understand their use.

Sure, attracting attention is part of it. I personally want my pipes loud enough so I'm heard but not so loud that I need earplugs. In fact I found my old V&H too loud so I put quiet baffles and I felt it improved the sound.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

·
Still crazy after all these years
14,185 Posts
I live in Germany by choice, but I'm originally from California.

Here, loud pipes are illegal - removing the baffles or drilling a hole in the pipes invalidates your registration. When you get caught, your bike is impounded until you can put it back to stock, then it has to go through a complete inspection again (which costs more than $100 for the inspection alone).

Your argument "everyone else is loud, so I have to be louder" is simply bull.

You need to be visible (thus the call for reflective vests) and you need to ride defensively - you can't and shouldn't depend upon engine noise for your own safety. Assume that everyone else on the road is blind and deaf, and you'll have a higher chance to stay alive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well I guess I'm glad I don't live there then. I used to have stock pipes on some of my other bikes when they were new and they sounded like sewing machines or scooters.

Sound of the engine is one of the biggest factors to why I ride. Without that rumble, I may as well be on a bicycle.

I want to attract the attention most definitely but it's not for my ego. I couldn't care less how people on the sidewalk, bar or cafe react to my bike. I only care that motorists and pedestrians are aware.

You don't agree. That's fine. We likely will never cross paths anyway.

Different strokes for different folks.

Ride safe

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gman industries or Freedom Performance. Got mine in June and they sound great. Be advised though, you will need a fuel controller and an air kit. Gman is the best place for that. I am in the process of ordering the controller and the air kit. Without them you will experience a lot of popping and some loud backfires. Total cost for parts will be in the $1300.00 range. Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Disabling the pair valve will definitely help minimize the popping. You can review the procedure here.
Oh yeah I had that same issue when I put slip-ons on my old Vstar. Popping wouldn't stop until I removed the AIS - which I think serves the same function.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This thread is chocked full of wisdom and magnificence!

1) As a beginner rider, I have no real on-road experience.
2) Living in Florida exposes you to a very large "biker" demographic.

That being said, whenever I'm driving my car around for my daily job, I frequently come across bikers with the "Loud pipes save lives" mentality. I can say from my experience that it does get my attention, true, however it also immediately fills me with anger. I'm a polite driver on the roads, but I've seen bad drivers try to take out bikers with loud pipes seemingly deliberately. While you may feel safer, I honestly think you're playing Russian roulette with your life with the increasing aggression on the roads these days. . .

My 2 cents. . .

·
Registered
357 Posts
I can say from my experience that it does get my attention, true, however it also immediately fills me with anger. I'm a polite driver on the roads, but I've seen bad drivers try to take out bikers with loud pipes seemingly deliberately..
Exactly. A certain level of obnoxious behavior tends to demand a response. You wouldn't like it if someone screamed in your ear every time they walked by you in the office. People don't like, or need, a screaming bike riding by them on the highway. I don't think I'd lose my temper, but I also don't think I'd feel bad for a biker that someone ran off the road for being obnoxious.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts