Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I just purchased an '81 GS750E and seem to already have problems. The bike was running when I purchased it, just leaking oil from the head gasket. As soon as I got it home, the bike would not start. I noticed the petcock was on prime when I got home so I figured the engine flooded. Tank still has 1/3 tank left. I took out the spark plugs, cranked the engine for a while, then replaced the spark plugs with new dry ones. Changed the oil, and replaced the air filter (since the old one was filthy) and the bike still didn't start. The battery is a couple weeks old and fully charged. Sometimes it sounds like its about to start, but then it doesnt. The carbs were recently cleaned. The choke however doesnt seem to stay in place. When I pull the choke up, the whole thing comes out of the socket along with the wire, I can still adjust it if I hold the base however, but it does not stay in place. Right now I'm just frustrated and don't know what else to do. My next step is to take a look at the carbs, but i figured if the bike worked when I saw it, I dont know why it wouldnt now.

Side question: I know the head gasket is leaking oil, I plan on replacing it, but do you guys recommend replacing all the gaskets anyway? If so, is it a rather difficult job?

This is my first bike so I am rather new to this, I'd appreciate whatever advice I would get. Thanks everyone

-S

·
Super Moderator
13,153 Posts
sort this 1st. the choke is your friend when starting older bikes.

+1 :bluethum:

Not sure that a 30 year old bike with a head gasket problem is a good choice for a first bike though.

I suggest that you should do the LEAST possible.......and I'd re-torque the head bolts first.
If the leak is really minor, I think I'd be tempted to just let it go.

P.S. Are we REALLY talking head gasket here.......or could it be the valve cover gasket ?

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Yeah, sounds like the choke is not working right. Fix that first and it should start. Pull the choke all the way out, do not touch the throttle, and hit the starter.

Did you start it before you bought it, or did the previous owner start it for you?

As EZ pointed out, a 31 year old bike with a bad choke and a leaking head gasket is a bad choice for a first bike- but what is done is done. If it in indeed the head gasket and not a valve cover gasket, I would personally recommend that you do not touch anything. If you are not an experienced motorcycle mechanic chances are you are just going to make things worse. The only way to fix anoil leak from a head gasket is to take the engine out of the frame, take off the head, and put on a new gasket. This assumes the leak is actually from the head gasket. You'll need to replace the valve cover gasket, cam chain cover gaskets, exhaust gaskets, and everything else you take off to remove the head. If the head gasket is leaking, and the choke broken, the battery had to be replaced, and the carbs had to be cleaned, then chances are you are going to find a lot more things that need to be fixed once you get the engine out and take it apart- this is the kind of thing an experienced motorcycle or shadetree mechanic can do, but not a novice. You'll need a lot of specialty tools and knowledge you probably don't have, and if you pay a shop to do the work the repair bill is going to be a lot more than the $550-850 book value of the bike in fair to good condition.

If it is just a valve cover gasket, replace the gasket and that gasket only. Ride the bike to learn on, resist the urge to add accessories, get the Clymer manual for your model, and teach yourself about your bike a little at a time as little things break and wear out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the input guys. I am going to have a mechanic look at the gaskets. I think my next move is to sort out the choke. It didnt leak alot of oil and the mileage on the bike is around 10k, so im hopeful that its not too major.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts