Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently riding my bike in this wonderful British weather so naturally I was riding through a flood and my air filter had fallen off few miles back and couldn't get it back on I saw the water and slowed down but after I got out only 100 meters it slowed down misfired and died and now 1 1/2 days after it still won't start I checked and cleared the carb incase water in mixture also check electrics incase there was no spark but there's a strong spark and fuel seems to be getting into the engine but it just won't start occasionally makes a popping noise like it has just got some fuel but it won't start also checked compression and it's fine has anyone got any ideas on what I need to do btw it's the Suzuki gn125

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Dry out your plug wires and when you put them back on use some silicone sparkplug boot release and waterproofing on them.
Not just any old silicone,the stuff made for this ok.;)
Check your oil,if it looks milky change it right away.
I live in the PAC NW one of the wettest places on earth and have probably ridden in the rain more miles that most here have ridden altogether lol so I have some experience in dealing with water.8)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Put the bike in a heated garage for a few days. Put in new plugs, and use a little quick start(very little) in the air intake and I bet she fires right up!! Let it run for a good 45 minutes to really get rid of all the moisture. Now, any educated mechanic will tell you that's a terrible plan, and technically, their probably right. But if you don't have money or time or any other options, it'll do in a pinch!! (Again, this is a back yard idea and not recommended for a bike of any high value)

·
Banned
880 Posts
take out the plugs and turn it over, until the water is out of the cylinders, put gasline antifreeze in the gas, and it won't run well without the airfilter anyways, it needs that for the carburetors to function.:bluethum:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Drain all fluids, change the plugs, dry out all electronics spray some electronic spray and relube all bearing and seals. clean the fuel system including the carb.

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
the only good news I have is that being a modern bike you have electronic ignition - which as you found out, still works.

somewhere the water snuck in - betting on somewhere in the gas as you still have spark. Just throwing out the prospect of some gas drier - although most gas has alcohol in it already.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts