Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people!

I'm not a new rider but I recently bought a 2002 Honda CBR600 F4i and it's giving me some serous problems! This could be a good introduction as to why I'm posting it here (couldn't post it on F4i thread) and why I bought a 2002 model.

First, I got it cheap.
Second, I wanted to learn how to take care of motorcycles on my own as much as possible! (My first step was when the dealership quoted me 130$ for installing a 12v cigarette lighter for GPS power supply for my cruiser).

So, It was pretty beat up but I'm facing an issue I have no idea what's up.

It's always the same. I turn the key switch ON it does the RPM roll, turn the killswitch ON the "eeeee" fuel pumping sound and then press the electric starter it goes "tick tick tick tick" but no sound of ignition, does that make sense?

Soon afterwards, the display starts going out, eventually the ticking goes out too and then altogether nothing happens. Only FI light is on, neutral N light is gone too.

I charged the battery up afterwards and it worked fine for two weeks.

Weirdest thing of all is, if I go after a day and turn the key ON it does the startup routine perfectly and I pressed the horn to see if my battery's dead but the horn was sharp and loud as it should be and then it just goes into being dead and gives like a dum dum sound.

I just need someone to give me suggestions as to what might be wrong with it. I'm highly determined to fix this by myself with your guys help.

Thanks!

Sagar!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Check and clean battery and starter connections. If it is still acting up take your battery to an auto parts store and have it load tested. If it fails buy a new battery. If it passes charge it up and put it back in so you can start looking else where for the problem.:cool:

·
Registered
357 Posts
If the battery holds a full charge and passes a load test, and all connections are clean and tight, the stator/regulator are the things to check next. They are responsible for keeping the battery charged while riding.
While the bike is running, test with a multimeter and make sure you're getting at least 13.5 volts, better if it's around 14. If not, the stator or regulator aren't doing their job. Hope you have a service manual for your bike.

·
Super Moderator
12,342 Posts
In addition to having a bad horn.....which is fairly common......you either have a bad battery OR a fault in the charging system.
Outside chance that you are not really turning it OFF but leaving it in the park position where the tail light stays on and runs the battery down.

If you are going to do some of your own maintenance and troubleshooting, a multi-meter is a MUST.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
If you can find the dealer plug and jump the appropriate wires it should display an error code if there is one and then track down what the problem is. Perhaps a specific forum may be more help... fireBlades.org forum?

Also have you tried bump starting the bike....perhaps the starter motor or some of the starting components are shorting out....also flick the kill switch on and off a couple of times....even spray some WD40 in there to clear any crud build up out....you should clean the WD40 residue out afterwards...although I have never bothered and it hasn't caused any problems for me

1 - 5 of 5 Posts