Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a newbie here but I've come to this forum for a lot of answers related to a Suzuki M50 that my bf just bought. He finally installed some new pipes, a fuel management system and an air filter and it's all great. However, he wants to change the windshield that came with the bike (no idea what brand it is) for a Memphis Shades and we have 2 questions, hopefully you guys will be able to help us.

1. What kind of hardware goes with the M50? I've seen 2 kinds, the Quick Release and the Trigger Lock, but it seems to me that the Trigger Lock doesn't fit the M50. Am I mistaken or not?

2. What shape goes better with the lines that the M50 has? I've seen the Memphis Fat (which looks a little old fashioned but probably covers the most area), The Memphis Slim, and the Big Shot, but we don't know how well either performs. Any feedback will be great :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance for your answers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Big shot windshield

I have the memphis shades big shot w/ the black gradient. My M50 is black so the black gradient looks nice. I am 6.0ft. so I wanted a tall windshield. The big shot was the most affordabel I found. It's fork mounted which I wanted because I was concerend about potential vibration from the handlebar mounted type. I get some wind buffetting on the top of my helmet but I don't think I will ever drive on the freeway again without a windshield. It is so much more enjoyable when you don't have to hold on tight when riding or risk being blown off your bike. The shield keeps most of the wind off my body. I purchased some hand deflectors to keep the cold wind from freezing my hands during my winter commuting. They will also cut down on bee stings (stung once already on my M50) and knucklbusting rocks. I'll post picks of those when they are installed. I don't have experience with other windshields, but I recommend the big shot. I attached some photos, hopefully they are viewable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
big shot

I forgot to mention that it is super easy to remove the shield if you want to cruise on the boulevard (yes, pun intended). The four chrome clamps stay on the fork and you just loosen the four allen screws to remove the shield. The required allen wrenches are included with the mounting hardware. I am happy to answer any more questions you may have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for your answer, it really helped a lot. The pics were great and I do have to say that that shield with the black gradient looks fantastic on your bike. I do have one more question, what size shield did you buy? Just to have a reference as to what my bf will need to buy.
Thanks again! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
14 Posts
windshield

I put a Switchblade on mine. It is quick attach/detach so that makes it easy. Comes in different sizes. Quite strong, too. The only thing I don't like is that its angle is different from the fork angle. That seems to be common to aftermarket shields, from what I notice.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
I have the Big Shot too...with the Blue gradient to match my bike.
I've had it on (using quick release, which means you have to use a hex wrench) for a few years and really enjoy it.

Even in spring I don't have to worry about all the dead bugs and body parts I used to have to scrape off my helmet & jacket. They're all on the BigShot now...and that cleans up easily with water & papertowel.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all so much. Still thinking about the shield, but so far it seems like we are gearing towards the Big Shot. The only thing is the color. Does anybody have the solar tint and if so how dark is it?
Thanks again for your time and sorry to bother with so many questions lol. 8)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Don't worry about the questions! It's all a learning experience and just about everyone on here is glad to help if they can--I can't since I am partial to the stock 'zuki shield on the M50s...
Glad to see you're so motivated about your bike! Be sure to post some pics when you decide what you want to go with! :bluethum:

There are only a couple of guys on here (not me of course, lol) that have "questionable manners" during question and answer time, and that's only if the question goes something like this:
"Hi I'm new to the forums and bikes in general...I have no experience even just changing my spark plugs or oil before today but I heard a ticking and thought I could rebuild my engine. HELP!!!"
:lol4:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Thank you all so much. Still thinking about the shield, but so far it seems like we are gearing towards the Big Shot. The only thing is the color. Does anybody have the solar tint and if so how dark is it?
Thanks again for your time and sorry to bother with so many questions lol. 8)
Here is a solar windshield on my MS Batwing...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Pheonix, thanks for your nice comment. The bike is not mine, it's my bf's but he's always so busy at work that I'm the one that does all the research for him lol, I love it though!! Eventually I'll get my own bike, in the meantime I read the forum and learn a lot. Looking forward to learn some more.
Tj1964 great pic, just what I needed, that helps a lot, thanks so much!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts