Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I bought a Suzuki DR650SET back in 1996 and haven't put many miles on it.. Only about 3000 total so the bike is in great condition.

I keep it in my storage shed as an emergency vehicle.

I would like to remove all delicate electronics on the bike but I don't know enough about it to know what it has or doesn't have. Are there any computer components on this bike that use computer chips or electronic circuits? I'm not worried about light bulbs or coils or switches.... I'm worried only about the types of electronics that can be damaged if the bike was subject to a high voltage spike like a lightning strike or an EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse)..

Isn't there an ignition control module on this bike that controls the spark timing or something? Anything else? I'm looking for small microprocessor type of electronics..

Thank you,

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
I would like to remove all delicate electronics on the bike but I don't know enough about it to know what it has or doesn't have.
Bad idea.
VERY bad.
If you embark on that project, it is likely that it will never run right again, thus causing exactly the failure that you are trying to prevent.

You need to shop for an older bike that still has points and condenser ignition and is in good running order.

Or maybe just try to overcome this paranoid obsession that you seem to have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad idea.
VERY bad.
If you embark on that project, it is likely that it will never run right again, thus causing exactly the failure that you are trying to prevent.

You need to shop for an older bike that still has points and condenser ignition and is in good running order.

Or maybe just try to overcome this paranoid obsession that you seem to have.
Can you explain why this is a bad idea? What is it that needs to be removed and what is it about removing it that makes this a poor decision? I'm at a bit of a loss here as I thought there was just some small micro computer box with a plug or two that could be disconnected....

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Because there is more to it than that.
To COMPLETELY remove all the electronics, you need to ADD a distributor......and that is next to impossible.

And if you were to be hit by an EMP pulse, the rectifier/regulator likely would be fried so it would only run as long as the battery was running down.
So I guess the only way to do what you want is to get a bike SO old that it fires from a magneto, has no battery and is kick start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because there is more to it than that.
To COMPLETELY remove all the electronics, you need to ADD a distributor......and that is next to impossible.

And if you were to be hit by an EMP pulse, the rectifier/regulator likely would be fried so it would only run as long as the battery was running down.
So I guess the only way to do what you want is to get a bike SO old that it fires from a magneto, has no battery and is kick start.
No no no... I think I should have been more clear because you misunderstand.. I don't want to modify the bike permanently (or at all), I just want to remove the components that are vulnerable to damage so that I can reinstall them at a later date when the event has passed. The components will be placed into a shielded container for storage.. When I need the bike one day, I will simply reinstall them.

The only kind of components I am concerned about are those which contain transistors.. Things like relay coils, are not a concern.. A rectifier would be a concern because it contains diodes..

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
The remoteness of the event doesnt equal the effort. Perhaps a lead impregnated cover?

If the bike has an ECU you can remove it very simply and wrap that in a ESD safety computer component bag. Doing so should isolate all the other components...though most will easily withstand a lightning strike as long as it isnt direct....ditto any other electronic gear. As for an EMP the ECU would probably be the only component to suffer damage in such a case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The remoteness of the event doesnt equal the effort. Perhaps a lead impregnated cover?

If the bike has an ECU you can remove it very simply and wrap that in a ESD safety computer component bag. Doing so should isolate all the other components...though most will easily withstand a lightning strike as long as it isnt direct....ditto any other electronic gear. As for an EMP the ECU would probably be the only component to suffer damage in such a case.
Thanks, but I know how to protect it.. what I'm not sure of is which components need protection. So far, what I have is that the bike has a CDI unit that looks to be under the seat.. I'm wondering if there's anything else.

As for the remoteness of the event.. I agree.. of course the math is changing now that North Korea is capable of reaching orbit. But again, its still remote and I try to think of it as purchasing an insurance policy or wearing my seat belt.

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
OK.....forgetting the odds of this ever being useful............

What are you going to do with the REST of the bike during this time ?
It won't do much good if the pistons are rusted to the cylinder walls or if the carbs are gummed up from old fuel.

I suggest that it would be easier and maybe even cheaper in the long run to build a cage that would enclose the WHOLE bike.
That way, you could take it out and "exercise" it enough to keep the fuel and oil fresh.

Unless of course you are worried that the "event" might occur while you have it out.

Overall, I think your obsession with this is unhealthy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK.....forgetting the odds of this ever being useful............

What are you going to do with the REST of the bike during this time ?
It won't do much good if the pistons are rusted to the cylinder walls or if the carbs are gummed up from old fuel.

I suggest that it would be easier and maybe even cheaper in the long run to build a cage that would enclose the WHOLE bike.
That way, you could take it out and "exercise" it enough to keep the fuel and oil fresh.

Unless of course you are worried that the "event" might occur while you have it out.

Overall, I think your obsession with this is unhealthy.
Thank you for your help.. I have already taken care of all this.. I just need to know what delicate electronics are on the bike and where they are located.. Unless Suzuki decided to put transistors inside the engine block somewhere :madd:, this shouldn't be a difficult thing to accomplish if one knows where this stuff is at.

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Thank you for your help..
I haven't been any help......because you ARE NOT LISTENING.

What are you going to do with the REST of the bike while you have the electronic parts out ????
This is just as important as the obsession you have with the electronics.
The fuel can go bad and gum up things in 6 months or sometimes less.
So can the battery.

Done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't been any help......because you ARE NOT LISTENING.

What are you going to do with the REST of the bike while you have the electronic parts out ????
This is just as important as the obsession you have with the electronics.
The fuel can go bad and gum up things in 6 months or sometimes less.
So can the battery.

Done.
Thank you for your concern but its all been taken care of.. Battery sulfation, tires dry rotting, cylinder oil, and gasoline were all the obvious stuff for pretty much all vehicles..

Just need to know if the CDI is the only thing that needs to be removed.. Is there anyone in the forum capable of answering that question?

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Yes CDI all other components will be fine....but to be safe you could purchase spares.
Actually I doubt that is true.

If it has a "modern" rectifier/regulator, THAT has electronic components too.
And since most models do NOT have a fuse between the R/R and the battery......the battery should be removed or disconnected too.

And if it has LEDs in the "dashboard", that might be a problem too.
Even the little "grain of wheat" bulbs might be vulnerable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually I doubt that is true.

If it has a "modern" rectifier/regulator, THAT has electronic components too.
And since most models do NOT have a fuse between the R/R and the battery......the battery should be removed or disconnected too.

And if it has LEDs in the "dashboard", that might be a problem too.
Even the little "grain of wheat" bulbs might be vulnerable.
The rectifier will have diodes.. where is this device located?

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
OK, it's time to ask:
Since that link goes to a commercial site....IE they charge for their material.....what is your association with them ?
Do you have a financial interest in their business ??

Does a friend or family member have a financial interest ??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts