Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 2002 Suzuki Intruder VL1500. A few weeks back, I removed my right side bar end to install new throttle cables. Now, it won't go back in and stay in. In the photo, you can see I have the bar end, a long screw, and the metal sleeve with a rubber gasket. Inside the bar, there is some type of rubber washer/wipe that is very tight against the walls of the bars, and has a hole big enough for the screw to fit through. However, there is nothing beyond the washer/wipe for the threads to grab on to. I can not remove the washer/wipe because it is so tight against the bars, therefore I do not believe any type of nut could have fallen out. I have searched the internet with no luck. I called my local dealer to be told there may be some type of nut on the inside, that has fallen down into the handlebars. However, I did not have this issue when I removed the left side bar end. Has anyone had any experience with this before? When I looked up new OEM ones to purchase, they all came with these same parts. Bar end, screw, sleeve with gasket, and the rubber washer/wipe. Any advice or help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
12,425 Posts
Well.......if there is not any female threads on any of the pieces that you got out......then there pretty much HAS to be a piece left in there that you need to get to.

Maybe the "nut" was originally attached to that washer/plate that is still in there but has broken loose now.

Typically you unscrew the mounting bolt ONLY until it feels loose and then PULL like hell to get the whole assembly out in one piece.
But maybe that model doesn't work that way.

Given the inside diameter of the bars, you should be able to find an after-market assembly where the expansion rings will fit in the space between the bar end and the barrier that you are fighting.

Hopefully somebody else here has experience with that model.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
ER is right the nut that attaches to the bolt will be sat inside the bar. As the bolt tightens the nut squeezes the rubber section causing it to increase in dia thus wedging the bar end in place. You may be able to dislodge the rubber section left inside the bar by bending a length of metal cloths hanger into a small L shape then working it through the hole and pulling it free. A spray of WD40 may help lubricate the rubber section.

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts