Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo! Very new to the motorcycle world, but I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. I took my bike for my first long ride (100+ miles) yesterday. It was idling very high, around 4000 rpm, when it should've been around 2000. Tried to adjust it, but anything lower would cause it to shut off when shifted into gear. I believe that suggests a carb issue. Being dumb, I said screw it and took it out anyways, because friends were waiting to go. In a small empty stretched we opened them up and got up to 90. Bike felt like it ejected something and then refused to accelerate beyond 45mph. Shut it off, started her up again and she was perfect for the next 40 miles including several stops and restarts. That is, until we turned around. On the way back, I could not accelerate beyond 50 and every time I released the throttle it would shut off. In order to start up again, I needed to rev very high while pressing the start switch. If I released throttle to shift from first to second it would shut off. Made for a very awkward and long ride home. Any thoughts as to what could be causing this? Thoughts are carb needs to be tuned up, kickstand switch and I have no idea what else. Any help is appreciated. OOh also, the oil light kept switching on and off briefly.

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
OOh also, the oil light kept switching on and off briefly.
Last things first.
It might be designed to automatically "kill" if the oil pressure is low.
The oil pressure will normally drop some at idle. The lower the idle speed, the lower the pressure.
This might be a VERY bad sign.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Checking the oil level would be my first suggestion. If its low then you may be in for some expensive repairs. If not then start with the carbs....my 1200 had one carb out and it sounded like it was throwing a rod and wouldnt accelerate. My problem ended up being a worn needle valve allowing too much fuel in and making that cylinder run way too rich. A temp fix was the lower the fuel level in that carb...but it was just that, a temporary thing. Check the exhaust pipes are getting hot to see if its a cylinder dropping out.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
Checking the oil level would be my first suggestion. If its low then you may be in for some expensive repairs. If not then start with the carbs....my 1200 had one carb out and it sounded like it was throwing a rod and wouldnt accelerate. My problem ended up being a worn needle valve allowing too much fuel in and making that cylinder run way too rich. A temp fix was the lower the fuel level in that carb...but it was just that, a temporary thing. Check the exhaust pipes are getting hot to see if its a cylinder dropping out.

Good luck
THIS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts