Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1984 Honda Magna V45
I’ve been having a similar issue; the bike wanted to keep dying while running. I think it migt be a bad ignition switch. Now the bike won’t even turn over, like there’s no ignition at all. The switch turns on and everything seems to be working but nothing from the starter. When i push the starter button the lights dim like it should but nothing happens. Checked the fuse and replaced it looked ok. Almost Like its the kill switch. Any advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Also check the actual start button contacts aren't corroded...and the kill switch internals too. I have never use the kill switch to turn any of my bikes off..they are often responsibe for a whole load of faults..and I consider them to be an emergency use device at best.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I jumped the starter relay and it turns over. Seems it’s somewhere between the switch and the relay. Is there a fuse between there somewhere?

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
I jumped the starter relay and it turns over. Seems it’s somewhere between the switch and the relay. Is there a fuse between there somewhere?

No but there might be another relay in between and it might have a fuse.

If you are going to try and fix this yourself, you need a voltmeter......to see of voltage appears on the small solenoid wire when you push the start switch.

The fact that the headlight shuts off when you push the button likely indicates that the trouble is NOT the start button itself.

This still could be a battery problem. Need to check the voltage on it too.

And....the other safeties need to be satisfied too: Neutral, clutch and maybe even sidestand.
Even if you don't normally need both clutch and neutral to start, try it with both once.

·
Banned
72 Posts
hi start from the beginning when the engine dies will it start up again ? if not will the starter motor crank over . if it does crank pull one plug & see if you have a spark, no spark take the ing switch apart & see if there is black carbon on the contacts. let me know what you find thank you for asking

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The motorcycle starts by jumping the relay and runs fine. Shut it down and try start button and nothing, jump the relay and starts right up and runs fine.
Possibly somewhere telling it it’s not in neutral or if in gear clutch not engaged.

hi start from the beginning when the engine dies will it start up again ? if not will the starter motor crank over . if it does crank pull one plug & see if you have a spark, no spark take the ing switch apart & see if there is black carbon on the contacts. let me know what you find thank you for asking

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Start button would be my guess since you can jump it direct...or the safety switches are not working. Disconnect them one at time and jump the harness end of the connection.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It seems like the start button is ok, because it dims the headlight like it should to direct the battery power to the starter. I’m having a hard time finding where the wiring for the sensors for telling the bike is in neutral or not and if the clutch is engaged or not. I’m thinking there may be a ground wire issue or an in-line fuse.

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
First and simplest things first.

It might be the starter solenoid itself.
You need to put a meter on the small wire connected to the solenoid and see if voltage appears when you push the start button or not. (Second time saying that.)
If it does, then the solenoid itself is bad.
If not.....then off to investigate other things.

Also note that on some brands/models there are two sets of contacts in the actual start "button"; one set turns the headlight off and the other set actually sends the start signal.

A voltmeter is REQUIRED if you intend to chase this yourself. Second time saying that too.
I'm done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts