Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, just picked up a 1998 Magna yesterday. Got a great deal on it with low miles (just over 3K) and everything looks good except for some surface rust spots which look like they will come out pretty easily. When I took it out this morning (it was a cold day in Southern California, maybe 40 degrees in the morning?) I started it with half choke, got it going in neutral, and with the choke off and bike in neutral I revved it and it stalled out. Got it rolling, it hesitated in first and second gear but once it got warmed up it ran like a champ. I'm getting an intermittent light popping sound from the pipes, like a car door closing, mostly when decelerating. The previous owner had the carbs cleaned out about a year and a half ago, then it was sitting with sta-bil in the tank since then, getting started up about once a week, so he says, for ten-fifteen minutes. Does anyone know if this is normal for this bike? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
usually (and this isn't specific) about 600-700 rpm.

Sometimes mechs turn up the idle so that it "hides" other problems.

Because, when you think about it, any problems with your bike are most likely to raise their ugly head at idle, because it is on the fine edge when the engine is getting just enough fuel to run. If any of the 4 carbs are (is?) too far out of whack, it will idle funny.

From the little I have read about these machines, they basically have a detuned crotch rocket engine and didn't succeed because it was introduced into a very crowded midsize market.

Came close enough to buying one myself, except I demanded luggage and ended up sliding over to looking at and buying a Concours.

Good bikes from what I have read.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Own a 1986 Honda Magna VF700c V42. and I'd like to accessorize this bike.
In the past I have had larger dressed bikes, and this one doesn't have a windshield.
I have looked at some of the windshields offered, and I see that there is a universal Batwing fairing, but was there ever a fuller fairing offered for these?
maybe Windjamers or ?.....

I'd just feel more comfortable with a larger fairing if it is available.
If you have one on yours, type, manufacturer, and even a photo of your set-up would be most appreciated.
Many Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
Bart, you are going to find out a couple of things with this vintage bike - great bike that it is and all.

a) fairings, while available, can be pricey, and there are not a lot of choices since the bike is 25 years old
b) dig around on the craigslist, it is about all I can tell you.

When I was looking around for a bike a couple of years ago, I was looking for a bike with a fairing and luggage.

Ideally, a later model magna (the 90s models) with luggage.

Eventually, I stumbled into the Kawasaki concours arena as they all have full fairings - all the way down to the footpeg.

Additionally, concours prices weren't greatly affected by whether or not they had the trunk and/or side lockable hard luggage.

What I am getting to is, you might almost be better off looking for a bike set up the way you want it than trying to find the fairing and mounting hardware necessary for your particular model.

or there may be a magna out there on the craigslist (cycletrader too) equipped the way you want it, some people love to have fairings on their bikes, other people can't stand them.

good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
anyone need touring luggage? boxes lock and waterproof. large. can put a 30 pack in each without opening the 30 pack :smile: can ile lots on to. they have 2 drink holders and one has a drain screw. i think $600 for the set including the racks is fair. they are 13g aluminum and indestructible.

i-RvBFJb8-L.jpg

i-SKcPjqj-L.jpg

i-rQGxj2W-L.jpg

ram500025-L.jpg

IMAG0816-L.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
All good advise.

I was lucky enough ( via craigslist) to stumble across a "Vetter Ghost" windshield, which I would describe as similar to the Plexifairing III windshields, for $50 bucks. I'm happy enough with it for now, but I would still like to persue luggage, or bags, and a rear luggage rack off the sissybar. I see that "Sallydog" has one, and I PM'ed him, but it goes with the Aluminum touring cases he has, so that option is out for me. Still, I'd like to know if there is a hondaline rack, or aftermarket rack for the VF700's. All I can find ( on ebay) are listings of such racks for the VF750's. I'm guessing that they are not compatable.

Anyway, the new question is................................ if you have a sissybar luggage rack on your VF700. What is it and where did it come from.

Bart, you are going to find out a couple of things with this vintage bike - great bike that it is and all.

a) fairings, while available, can be pricey, and there are not a lot of choices since the bike is 25 years old
b) dig around on the craigslist, it is about all I can tell you.

When I was looking around for a bike a couple of years ago, I was looking for a bike with a fairing and luggage.

Ideally, a later model magna (the 90s models) with luggage.

Eventually, I stumbled into the Kawasaki concours arena as they all have full fairings - all the way down to the footpeg.

Additionally, concours prices weren't greatly affected by whether or not they had the trunk and/or side lockable hard luggage.

What I am getting to is, you might almost be better off looking for a bike set up the way you want it than trying to find the fairing and mounting hardware necessary for your particular model.

or there may be a magna out there on the craigslist (cycletrader too) equipped the way you want it, some people love to have fairings on their bikes, other people can't stand them.

good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently received my grandpas old 1985 Honda Magna VF700. Needs a new battery but me nor my grandma could figure out how to get the seat up and didn't want to break anything. Does it pull up or a latch or what. And does it open lwft to right or vice versa or front to back ect. Thanks in advance to whomever can answer! ^_^

·
Registered
8 Posts
there is a latch behind the helmet lock. turn the key, pull the latch out. pull the rear seat back and up. remove the front seat

·
Registered
6 Posts
1983 Magna Posted under classics but might be better here

Just picked up this 1983 Magna 750 for my wife to ride and it runs pretty well however when under
excelleration in the lower gears there seems to be a screeching and rattling sound coming from the motor
It does not happen every time but most times it is does and then if up shifted tends to go away or if the throttle is decreased
I have gone over the entire bike for loose or broken parts and have found nothing and if the bike is in neutral and reved it does not make the noise

Thank you for any help and sorry for the miss post
Wayne

·
Registered
13 Posts
83 V45 Magna here in the UK, Bit modded,

Custom seat, grabrail cut down, widebars with 1200 Bandit levers for brakes and clutch and a lonely Triumph underslung mirror on the right,
Dominator headlights and clocks removed, blanking plate covers the top yoke and ignition moved to front right panel in front of the tank,
52Mm Speedo is mounted down on the top left of the radiator guard which also holds the front indies, rear ones are mounted off the mudguard,
Named Serenity after the Ship from Firefly/Serenity because no matter what, as long as I keep loving her, she keeps on flying :p
Moto

·
Registered
2 Posts
1984 Magna V30

OK folks, tell me how many of these 500's are still around. I'll bet less than a handful. Mine is in good condition with 45K on her. I tried to join the Magna owners of TX. Apparently they no longer exist because no one answered my request to become an associate member.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a 1986 VF700C with 32K

I'm looking for some aftermarket parts ... if even available at all.
I know there are places to purchase original parts (ie ebay, craigslist, and etc)

I'm not looking to go crazy - basically looking for a different exhaust.
She has some kind of F1 exhaust on it right now, but I would like some more sound.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1984 Honda Magna 700. Having hydraulic Clutch problems. Rebuilt master cylinder, Bled air out of system multiple times. Problem I am having is, When the bike is cold, I have excellent clutch pressure, Shifts perfectly, until the bike gets hot, and I lose my clutch pressure rapidly and starts locking up. But I can let the bike sit, 15, 20 minutes and I again start getting pressure back but the bike will not keep it.Made it only 9 miles yesterday, barely made it back home, Checked it this morning and once again, solid pressure? Slave cylinder issues? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

41 - 60 of 66 Posts