Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki S50
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from a ride during which on three occasions idiots decided to pull out in front of me for no apparent reason. I've decided I don't really want a horn that simply gets a driver's attention. I want one that's going to SCARE THE CRAP OUT OF THEM. I want them to think that a freakin' semi is bearing down on them or a diesel train just jumped the track. I want them to have to change their clothes.

Okay, I'm only half kidding. If nothing else, it will make me feel a little better than just leaning on the existing horn for several seconds, especially considering that I could probably yell louder...even through the face shield.

So, any workable and fairly-easy-to-install ideas for a replacement horn? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
So, any workable and fairly-easy-to-install ideas for a replacement horn? Thanks.
Visit an auto parts store and look for a louder OEM type electric horn that looks like it would fit where the stock horn is.
Shouldn't be too expensive and should be easy to mount and should work without having to install a relay.

If that isn't good enough, then you are into a mini-air horn which DOES require a relay and probably not "fairly easy" to install.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki S50
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know. Thanks. Or I can just keep an air horn in or near the saddlebags. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
Or I can just keep an air horn in or near the saddlebags. :)
Not quite sure what you are asking there.
Not safe to be groping around to get ahold of a "can horn" in situations like that.

I guess you could mount one to the handle bars.......but you want to be sure it doesn't blast your ears.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki S50
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Tempting as it is, it was sort of a half joke (unless I can figure out an easy and safe way to mount one. In the meantime, I ended up ordering this one from Amazon last night. Decent reviews, and apparently an easy swap out with the oem. Will find out as i try to install it over the weekend and see how it works.

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
Should work.
I think I've got one of those in a box around here somewhere.
If you give it a good report, I might have to dig it out and actually install it.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki S50
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I remember (and assuming I don't botch the install), I'll try to do a before and after recording.

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
If I remember (and assuming I don't botch the install), I'll try to do a before and after recording.
I have yet to hear a recording of something like that which really did it justice.
AND.....don't blow it inside an enclosure (garage) for the first time. It might damage your ears.
:oops:

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki S50
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it's done. Finally. What should have taken about ten minutes ended up taking me a couple of hours. Mostly because of fat fingers, a bolt about 1/8" too short, not having proper replacement nuts and bolts and adapters, and a subsequent trip to the hardware store. The end result is...okay. Not sure if it was worth the effort. Here's a short comparison video for those interested.

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
Not sure if it was worth the effort. Here's a short comparison video for those interested.
That does show a significant difference.
But it sounds like your stock horn wasn't working right to start with.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki S50
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm...that's interesting. That's the way it's sounded since I bought the bike last year. Sounds a lot like the stock horn my old Honda had, too.

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
Hmmm...that's interesting. That's the way it's sounded since I bought the bike last year. Sounds a lot like the stock horn my old Honda had, too.
Which is why I said that recorded sound clips don't often convey what is really happening.
Do you really not think that the new one is much better ?

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki S50
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, actually, it is better. I wasn't too impressed at first, but I'm sure part of that was due to the frustration with the install. However, after a ride today with it in actual use, it does sound more substantial. Even if it is not a lot louder, the lower tone gives it a beefiness that was lacking in the original. Next little job is to secure it a little better to the bike. I ended up bending one of those small rubber covered clamps I had laying around to make the thing fit, but it's not as sturdy as I'd like it to be. I need to find (or make) a better, stronger bracket.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
I understand your frustration but wonder.... if a cage driver isnt going to give way to you anyway what good a horn will do no matter how loud. It is sadly a common thing.... sometimes they say I didnt see you...what they really mean is I wasnt giving driving the attention it requires....something riders of motorcylces have to do if they wish to survive. At other times they simply dont give a rats arse about motorcyclists....here in Au anyway

·
Registered
43 Posts
I understand your frustration but wonder.... if a cage driver isnt going to give way to you anyway what good a horn will do no matter how loud. It is sadly a common thing...
I never bother with the horn, it's not going to save your life. You have to do that yourself. I am rarely surprised by anything anyone does because I expect them to be idiots. If one does surprise me, I'm too busy dealing with the situation to think about the horn. Also, you can't be sure how someone's going to react to being startled. You might get exactly the wrong result.

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
Yep. I find a reasonably loud horn useful BEFORE or AFTER an "incident".......but useless during one.
(This is partly because my Spyder has so damn MANY buttons on the bars.)

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Agree totally horns are only usful before an incident. Riding has become more dangerouse in recent years simply because so many more road users are present. The driving test here is woeful too, although many drivers completely forget what they have learned once the test is out of the way or drive like complete morons....for whatever reason. However beware of the arrogant road user, only safe to drive next to in a main battle tank or by being a police officer.

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
Riding has become more dangerouse in recent years simply because so many more road users are present.
And because so many of them are self-centered morons.
One of the "badges" of being stupid is that they reproduce at a faster rate.
And they seem to like having a leader who is just as stupid as they are.......or even more.
:mad:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts