Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a long synopsis of riding from a new rider, so settle in with a drink or something...

just racked up 1500 real motorcycle miles on my bandit (by real I mean 50+ mph, I rode a scooter for a few years).

Im noticing that I have this GOD-AWFUL feeling when I gun the bike and get on the freeway. I have this fear, even though I got my tires checked (needed a new rear, which I purchased) that my front tire will blow out, or some other mishap and Ill wreck. Its getting better, the first time I got on the freeway going 65mph, my feet were wobbling so much with fear I could barely shift.

Now, I can cruise at a comfortable speed, but anything over 90 just scares the hell out of me, due to this irrational FEAR that my tire will blow out and Ill die any second.

One other thing that adds to my fear, is from around 3.5k to 4.2k the engine just rattles like mad. This does not help my comfort level. After 4.3k the bike smooths out, and at 4.8-5k it just cruises.

I think a brand new bike would quell these fears (thats a great excuse to buy a new bike actually...) but I just have this feeling like any second anything could go wrong and Ill just crash. Sometimes, Ill be having fun, then this thought will creep in..."Im on a rocket a foot above the ground, with no protection" :shock: and the fear comes right back.

Does this go away? The bike is technically fine, Im starting to think the engine is supposed to vibrate like that at speed (no weird noises to speak of), and there is no shortage of power getting on it. Cruising on the streets is a breeze, super smooth riding all around, just the freeway has this forboding feeling to it.Maybe I need to relax?

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
This is easy. Just don't go over 90. Its not terribly safe on public highways that fast anyway.

It'll eventually die down, but a healthy fear of the road and, to a lesser extent, the bike is good for you.

·
Beer. Nature's Unstoppable Force.
13,226 Posts
Anville...

The most important piece of advice I could give you is this:

Remember to breathe. Concentrate on your breathing.

Once you get that niggling detail out of the way, concentrate on operating your bike in ranges that don't create those vibrations, or worse yet, them nasty debilitating thoughts. By operating the bike in ranges you are comfortable with, you can concentrate on the ride, and the good aspects of it. This in turn builds confidence, and you soon forget about those nasty things that are hindering you.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
I think a brand new bike would quell these fears
No, no, no. Almost any bike has some vibration, and that's not your problem. Why would you go that fast anyway, if you're nervous about it? That type of riding requires quick thinking and quicker reflexes. You're putting your life in serious danger!

Get the bike tuned up. Mine buzzes slightly, but not enough to affect my riding. Adjust the valves and synchronize the carbs. Put lead shot in your handlebars. Get some better grips, maybe with gel. There's a lot you can to to smoothen it out if it's really that bad. I suspect your mind is exaggerating it a bit, though. Sounds like you have serious confidence issues. Maybe it's time to take a break from riding?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replys all.

I should take a break, I ride about an hour every day.

The streets and feeder roads I ride perfectly, almost too comfortably but always alert. I have no qualms staying below 90, I think right around 70 I just get nervous. At first, the feeder roads bothered me, but now 50 is just cruising speed to me. Ill chalk it up to experience.

I tried the breathing technique on my way home tonight, it really helps! Ill be taking the car for a few days....

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Take you time. The bike won't disappear. :mrgreen:

And like Joe said, a healthy fear is good, but if you're stiff and nervous on a bike, that itself can hinder quick and smart maneuvers that you might be forced into making, IF something creeps up.

There's no need to rush into the faster speeds either! :D

Have fun with your rides cuz that's what's most important. :bluethum:

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Motorcycles are not for the faint of heart. Do what I do. Drink a couple of beers, make sure to crush the cans on your head and take off.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
It's a joke. Maybe in poor taste but only a joke. I also quit smoking wussy tobacco for high quality crack. Stick that in your piggy bank.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Some good advice here, except for vinnie. It's gettin' cold so he might have frost bite in the brain and is jealous of the weather down there. :)

Keep riding safely and with time and miles on your bike, your confidence will grow. :bluethum:

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Sorry, just being a little stupid today. Does it show? I did get frostbite on my butt 17 years ago, which I have been told is in close proximity to my brain. Of course always respect the power of any bike, wear your gear at all times and don't ride beyond your comfort zone. Never ride even under a little chemical influence. As far as the weather it rained most of the day but it's supposed to be 82F tomorrow. Taking a long ride to MPLS/St.Paul tomorrow and possible to WI. Ride safe and enjoy our short stay on this rock.

·
Registered
617 Posts
No, no, no. Almost any bike has some vibration, and that's not your problem. Why would you go that fast anyway, if you're nervous about it? That type of riding requires quick thinking and quicker reflexes. You're putting your life in serious danger!

Get the bike tuned up. Mine buzzes slightly, but not enough to affect my riding. Adjust the valves and synchronize the carbs. Put lead shot in your handlebars. Get some better grips, maybe with gel. There's a lot you can to to smoothen it out if it's really that bad. I suspect your mind is exaggerating it a bit, though. Sounds like you have serious confidence issues. Maybe it's time to take a break from riding?

:plus1:

Bandits tend to buzz a bit, but I dont think I have ever heard a bandit rattle.

·
Registered
585 Posts
if your riding at 90, you need your head examined -
at least in my opinion

as I told someone else -- its not that I can't, Its I am smarter than that

·
Registered
89 Posts
You should always ride within your skill level. It is important to open it up on a wide open straight and push those limits up every now and then so that when you do ride at 65 it doesn't feel intimidating.

Way back when on my first bike I would feel a bit of anxiety riding 70 on the interstate. I worked nights and the way home there were a few straight that I would roll back on the throttle for a bit, check the speed, and then coast back down. I did this once or twice a week for a couple of months until I hit 145. I did it once and never again. I wasn't nervous. I just accomplished what I set out to do; being comfortable at a safe speed. On the down side it ruined amusement parks. Roller Coasters became sleepers.

A ten year absence from riding and I'm back on two wheels. I felt that same anxiety when I rode the bike home for the first time. I think I went ten under the limit the whole way home(60 miles: Tallahasee to Panama City). I live far off an interstate now so I haven't had a chance to build my confidence back up with this bike. I've hit the 90s a few times, but way too brief. I'm not comfortable with the vibration my M50 gets over 52mph. The bike definetely needs a 6th gear.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
180+, usually.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have just the opposite feeling. Thats why I got a cruiser and not a busa. I have become to know my limitations and what I would do on that kinda bike

1 - 20 of 25 Posts