Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bikes running a bit rich.
Cylinders 1 & 2 plugs looks soft ashy black with fluffy white deposits on the electrode and the tip. And numbers 3&4 are black and almost oily, smelling like gas.

So short of taking the carbs apart and resetting the float levels and then balancing all 4 carbs, would a one hotter plug step help to cure this at all?
Its a 78 Suzuki GS550, and its running B8ES NGKs right now.

Ive rebuilt the carbs before, and adjusted the levels wrong im sure.

Help?

G

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ONE MORE DISCOVERY:

After saying that about plugs one and two, as well as three and four. The left muffler is only cylinders 1&2, and the right is 3&4 of coure.

Ive noticed this: The left tailpipes exhust is really hot right from the startup, and the right side is ice cold. Could this be the reason why the 3$4 plug are still covered in raw gas... cuz there not firing for some reason?

G

·
what is the equalivent to a distribyuter and wires on a bike? my sisters car had this sort of problem and a distrubitor wire was off.

· Registered
211 Posts
Hotter plugs is not a good thing! the plugs in there are the correect spec for the bike, going hotter would just end up rogering your cylinders. There is probably some other reason that the plugs aren't firing right, check the coils as (correct me if i'm wrong, i don't know the bike that well) two coils control the 4 cylinders, 2 cylinders per coil.

· Registered
208 Posts
Check your timing and gaps on your plugs and points. That should assist with any ignition problem you are having. You could try working on the carbs, or just setting your idle higher. Once you have proper ignition, you may find things are a lot better. Don't forget to clean your plugs off. Take an old toothbrush or similar and brush off all of that carbon fouling.

· Site Admin & Squeegee Boy
4,459 Posts
Hotter plugs ( lower number ) might help mask your problem to a degree ( although I doubt any noticeable difference will be seen ) but you should get the bike back in tune asap.

Get yourself a clymer or haines manual ( no source that we've found for free internet manuals out there ) and follow it to get your bike back in tune or get it to a mechanic that knows what he's doing.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive got a Clymer and the factory Suzuki tech manuals.

Im going to figure out whats happening before i switch to the hotter plugs. I tore apart tyhe carbs this morning, and floats on 1 & 2 were 1.5mm too high, and 3 and 4 were WAY too high, Ive got them dialed perfectly now, and tonight ill put them back together and sync all 4 of them. Hopefully this should do it, if not, onto the ignition.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.