Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...I'm a new 1100 Custom owner. Got the bike brand new with 1 mile on it, and it has about 50 on it so far.

I already bought a jet kit and Cobra slip-on drag pipes for the bike, but I am going to wait until I get past at least the 600 mile break in period before installing either.

However I'm wondering how difficult it is to install the jet kit. I haven't done it before, although I did rebuild the carbs on my old bike.

Assuming the carbs are anything like my old bike (i.e. bolted together via a mounting bracket), will I be able to remove them, install the kit, and reinstall without taking them off their mounting bracket or having to re-sync or anything like that? The instructions with the kit (Dynojet) don't give me much of an idea, neither does my service manual.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Jet kits are easy if you're the type to be patient and follow directions. Keep from bunging up diaphragms or float springs with ham-handedness and you'll be fine. Of course, I know nothing of your particular bike. I think a sync is a good idea regardless, but you can just ride it and make an assessment first.

·
Registered
118 Posts
FWIW, I just ordered the Vance & Hines slip-ons for my 1100 last week and am waiting for them to arrive. I was debating whether to re-jet mine by myself or get someone to do it for me, so I asked the guys in the shop at my local dealer about it to get an idea of how much it would cost to have them do it. They told me with slip-ons, I shouldn't need to re-jet. They said I may need to make some minor adjustments to the carb, but that re-jetting shouldn't be necessary.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just got my slip-ons on Thursday and put them on today. I haven't pulled the plugs yet, but the bike runs and sounds great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Compared to other bikes I've worked on, the VStar is by far the easiest to rejet. You don't even need to take the carbs out of the bike. The float bowls are easily accessible from the side (with the tank off, of course), and you can unscrew the jets (carefully) right there. It's truly beautiful. Watch out for the needles dropping out of their little slots when you take the bowl covers off, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts