Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Still crazy after all these years
14,183 Posts
Well, seeing as pick-up trucks aren't very popular where I live, most people use a bike trailer. When I moved back in 2012, I had to transport all of my vehicles at one time - my car, my bike and my horse trailer, so I put the bike in the horse trailer. This worked fairly well, except that the bike tipped over and I busted one of the bar-end mirrors and bent the mounting screw. No worries, though - I replaced the mirrors and the screw at the start of the 2013 season.

Today, my next door neighbor has a bike trailer, so transporting the bike is no longer an issue. But I prefer to ride it...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have moved my bike in the back of a pickup truck but that's a LONG way off the ground and makes unloading pretty difficult alone. I have a 21 foot flat-deck "car hauler" that is much closer to the ground and is wide enough to turn the bike around to ride on and ride off - much better but he flat deck trailer is HEAVY!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Not sure how I would survive without my pickup, they aren't the best for transporting a MC though. I just measured my tailgate distance to the ground and it is 36" with the tail gate down, that is a 2WD F150, 4x4 would be several inches higher. A trailer with an expanded metal floor in it would be a better option, mine has a 4' tail gate which lets down to form a ramp, the trailer is light weight but strong enough for any motorcycle. It has been over thirty years since I had a motorcycle on a trailer so I am not an expert.

·
Banned
10 Posts
A truck or trailer are basically your two options. Efficiency is a matter of ease. As mentioned, the disadvantage of a truck is height when loading. Positioning a truck on the lower part of the ground such as the end of the driveway or backed up near a ditch will allow the tailgate to get closer to ground level or anywhere a truck can be positioned on lower ground while bike on higher ground and thus, a ramp is less steep. Obviously, a trailer is easier for loading due to the low profile and can handle more than one bike.

As for towing, a truck is better for stopping due to just the bike weight. A vehicle pulling a trailer has the trailer weight along with the weight of the bike(s) behind it and must stop sooner than the norm. There's also the slim possibility of jackknifing. The difficulties parking a trailer play a role also whereas a truck can still park in normal spots.

It's all a matter of personal preference and/or finances and storage space (for a trailer). Whatever option is used, the tie down is the same, thus, that doesn't play a key role.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just moved cross country; from Little Rock, AR to Irvine, CA. I transported my M50 in the back of my 2005 Honda Odyssey minivan. It was easier than it sounds. Search for a detailed post in the forums.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm from Germany and Pick-ups are rare. Most transport their bikes on a trailer.
I dont transport my bike:) but i know someone that use a Dodge ram (hemi) when he goes on track with his yamaha yz 250.

·
Registered
4 Posts
have moved my bike in the back of a pickup truck but that's a LONG way off the ground and makes unloading pretty difficult alone. I have a 21 foot flat-deck "car hauler" that is much closer to the ground and is wide enough to turn the bike around to ride on and ride off - much better but he flat deck trailer is HEAVY!

·
Registered
2003 Marauder VZ800
12 Posts

This is my trailer I use to move my drink and snack machines I sell, it tilts and has a wrench to pull anything up on trailer. I simply drove my bike on trailer when I bought it.

ca'Jun

1 - 10 of 10 Posts