Motorcycle Forum banner

How long did it take you to get on the road?

10K views 102 replies 33 participants last post by  c50tiger 
I have a feeling i am going to be a lot like Pug. I am scheduled to take the MSF course in three weeks and have never ridden before. i am hoping that after that course i feel comfortable enough to not worry about it anymore and just go get some miles under my belt. I think this would have been easier in my teens rather than at 32. When i was younger i had no fear and just went and "did it" like Nexus (and Nike) have said.

My best friend has never ridden before either. He went to the dealer and bought a brand new 04 Honda VTX 1300, trailered it home, and started going up and down the dead end road. after abotu 10 times of doing that, he took off for another friends house to show him. Next day he headed out onto bigger roads and has 1100 miles on it after one month...so i hope i am more like that.

Nexus242 said:
Hey lay off the soda and drink like 2 gallons of water a day to help elimnate them kidney stones. :)

Pug, you drink a lot of gatorade? it causes kidneystones if you arent active and need the potassium.

i'll probably be fine once i get riding, never really have been scared of stuff before. and i did rid a ped all over gainesville while in college, but i know that isnt the same

RowdyRed94 said:

That's not a motorcycle, that's a couch!

It's commonly known that the worst riders out there are the ones taught by friends or by themselves. Get your training, then ride, damnit, ride. 11 miles!

BIG oops...was supposed to be 1100!! (edited above post too) i think he said he is up to 1300 now....

Hunter said:
lmao
Like I say Ride it like you stole it ===D :!:

that has been my line about my rx-8 since i got it. you have to rev it up high to get anything out of it. just like the Honda S2000. when it first came out and my friend got one, we said "drive it like you hate it"...then that gave way to the more popular "stole it" line.

axel_2078 said:
Hey, Pinhy, how about letting me take a little spin in that RX-8? :) I've always wanted to try one of those out.

anytime you're in tampa.....

True story:
I was nearly wetting my pants for a Nissan 350Z for a year before it even came out. i knew more about the car than dealers did even once it was on the lots. i test drove it three times over the course of a year figuring to get a 2004 about the spring of 2004. But the dealers wouldnt give me squat for my old car.

So one day i just felt like testing other cars for the hell of it. Went to Infiniti and drove the G35 coupe (no way i could afford, but fun to drive anyway). Then over to Subaru to test the STi (OMG its awesome but ugly IMO. dont liek 4 doors). So on to Mazda and WOW...i fell in love with the way it handles and feels! Much nicer looking inside than the Z also.

ok...sorry to get OT...but i love talking about my car!

one more shot because i realized that one doesnt have the fender strakes on it. really helps bring out the shape of the fender on the black car. on other colors, the black plastic grill does that.

ok...one more pic in this thread...sorry to keep it going so OT....maybe i should just start a thread in OT with pics?

yes that is me taking a pic of the speedo on Alligator Alley in south FL. yes that is MPH and it does read 139. that is right after i started slowing down from 141. supposed to get up to 148 or so, but i was running out of room and cars come up really really fast at that speed even when they are going 60 or 70

haha...hard to drive that fast AND try to be sure the camera focused!!

as for driving on Daytona...very nice!! My car club had a meet there and got to drive out on it...i wasnt able to make it though :-(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.