Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently came over to Harley. I bought a 2002 DWG, inexpensively, and I love it. I also found a 2005 Deluxe for sale, insexpensively, and I'd love it too.

On the other hand, insteadof having two TC88s, I could trade in the DWG and get one new TC103. So, what I'm wondering is, is the TC103 just a little bigger and that's about it or, is it a whole new experience and I should get one and shouldn't get two TC88s?
\
WHat do you think?

Oh, by the way, this is my first post. It's great to be here. Thanks for your thoughtful responses.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, wait, I get it. One Harley is too many. Great. Very amusing. Well it just so happens, Saki Breath, that I've owned Japanese Cruisers and Harleys are better. So, there.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Go to the dealership and take a new 103 for a spin, or rent one for a day. There are improvements in handling, ride quality, and of course a 6-speed transmission. The touring bikes have a redesigned frame, larger gas tank, and greater load capacity also. But the only way to know if you will ike it more than what you have is to ride one. And that is the great thing about HD- unlike the metric dealershisp, you can take a test ride or rent one for a day. weekend, or week to make sure you rally want it.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Go to the dealership and take a new 103 for a spin, or rent one for a day. There are improvements in handling, ride quality, and of course a 6-speed transmission. The touring bikes have a redesigned frame, larger gas tank, and greater load capacity also. But the only way to know if you will ike it more than what you have is to ride one. And that is the great thing about HD- unlike the metric dealershisp, you can take a test ride or rent one for a day. weekend, or week to make sure you rally want it.
Ditto that.....oh and with over 100 years worth of Harleys to chose from I don't believe you can have too many if you have the buget to keep adding to the collection.
I had 3 at one time,down to 1 for now but really missing at least one (FXRS) bike I had I hope to replace it at some point.
If I hit the lottery I'll need to build a big barn to house all the bikes I'll be collecting.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I recently came over to Harley. I bought a 2002 DWG, inexpensively, and I love it. I also found a 2005 Deluxe for sale, insexpensively, and I'd love it too.

On the other hand, insteadof having two TC88s, I could trade in the DWG and get one new TC103. So, what I'm wondering is, is the TC103 just a little bigger and that's about it or, is it a whole new experience and I should get one and shouldn't get two TC88s?
\
WHat do you think?

Oh, by the way, this is my first post. It's great to be here. Thanks for your thoughtful responses.
Also take note,a TC88 can be converted to a 103,if you want to spend the money you can also add a 6 speed in place of your 5 speed....H-Ds have more options for mods than any bike out there bar none.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I had three until I wrecked the Electra Glide, will replace that one as soon as my shoulder heals. '08 'Glide for trips, '07 Sportster 1200 for short trips and the mountains, '79 shovelhead for bike nights, shows, and around town. Can't have too many- If I hit the lottery I would have a collection that puts Wheels Through Time at least 100 of them.

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
from a non harley guy living in Harley's back yard, I would say about 3 is too many.

one to drive daily

one to drive on special occassions.

but then again, the 3rd one could be the one you are throwing on all the mods while alternating driving the other two.

So four, maybe.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
5... You just have to have that one rare/classic Harley.

And a Buell... So 6...

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
after 2 or 3 it is a syndrome, like OCD.

I've seen all kinds, snowmobiles (the great white north, remember) chainsaws, bikes, cars, trucks, tractors, farm equipment, wreckers.....

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
after 2 or 3 it is a syndrome, like OCD.

I've seen all kinds, snowmobiles (the great white north, remember) .....
That could also be part of a Harley collection.;)
If I had tons of money I'd have one and a few other goodies like one of the minibikes and a dirtbike etc.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Well you could have 10 Harleys and there'd still be a lot of motorcycling you wouldn't be able to do.

You wouldn't have a dual sport, you wouldn't have a dirt bike, you wouldn't have a lightweight commuter. You would forever be stuck on the highway (hopefully very well paved) and never be able to go off road. You're never going on that great adventure through multiple countries or around the world because Harleys just aren't up to it.

You might in fact own an unlimited number of Harleys but if you did, your riding experiences would still be limited.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Well you could have 10 Harleys and there'd still be a lot of motorcycling you wouldn't be able to do.

You wouldn't have a dual sport, you wouldn't have a dirt bike, you wouldn't have a lightweight commuter. You would forever be stuck on the highway (hopefully very well paved) and never be able to go off road. You're never going on that great adventure through multiple countries or around the world because Harleys just aren't up to it.

You might in fact own an unlimited number of Harleys but if you did, your riding experiences would still be limited.
You couldn't be more wrong,look at the pics above just for starters.
Then consider these riders....
The world's most traveled motorcyle.... World's Most Travelled Motorcycle. A motorcycle trip to visit every country in the world by Peter and Kay Forwood on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

Dave Barr,around the world double amputee..... www.davebarr.com

Dave Zien,million mile Harley.... Dave Zien’s epic journey — Thunder Press

Then there's the military Harley MT350E these can be had surplus these days

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Well this is a really good post Y2K with interesting links, I learnt a lot, and I stand corrected.

I was particularly interested to read of the Harley that visited 193 countries and still has the original (unopened) gearbox. Plus military Harleys with Rotax engines sold to the British Army, who would have guessed?

Nonetheless, it's fair comment to say you'd be a brave man to make the big V twin your first choice to ride off road.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Nonetheless, it's fair comment to say you'd be a brave man to make the big V twin your first choice to ride off road.
Indeed,I have an ATK 406 but I'd love to have a vintage H-D 250 moto like this just for fun and being different,even more different than my rare ATK that is.

This is a Harley you can off road with and yes it's Italian made but H-D bought and owned the factory so therefore it is in fact a Harley.

My ATK,American built with Rotax power.

Then again some folks have gotten creative with Sportster based offroad bikes and if a guy had more money than sense he might come up with an XR750 race engine for a similar build.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Apart from the Aeromachhi interlude, did Harley ever make a dedicated flat track racer? US flat track racing never took off in other countries, in Australia and Europe speedway racing (mostly on purpose built single cylinder Jawas) was the equivalent, but did Harley ever produce a specific machine for flat track racing?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Apart from the Aeromachhi interlude, did Harley ever make a dedicated flat track racer? US flat track racing never took off in other countries, in Australia and Europe speedway racing (mostly on purpose built single cylinder Jawas) was the equivalent, but did Harley ever produce a specific machine for flat track racing?
That's what the XR750 is,not just a dedicated flat tracker but for decades it has been the bike to beat,Harley has flat out ruled that domain.
Before the dual carbed alloy XR750 there was the Iron XR 750 and the Flathead KR750,all were H-D purpose built race bikes.
http://backmarker-bikewriter.blogspot.com/2011/05/notes-from-blue-groove-historical.html

·
Registered
730 Posts
Y2K, thanks for the Dave Zein picture. I've known Dave for years, and even worked out with him at a local gym. He had a pretty decent bench press.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Y2K, thanks for the Dave Zein picture. I've known Dave for years, and even worked out with him at a local gym. He had a pretty decent bench press.
You're welcome,he looks to be a pretty stout old boy and being an ex marine I'm sure he knows how to stay fit.
:cool:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts