Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. First time poster from Cleveland, OH. I bought a 2005 M50 yesterday, there are a few things I want to take care of right away.

The forks need aligned. You can see it when standing over the bike and sighting down the center, the tire points a few degrees to the right. I've done some research and found this instructional video:

To summarize the video:
1. Loosen up all the fasteners on the front end (so they are finger tight) EXCEPT the top most pinch bolts.
2. Actuate the suspension a few times by pressing your weight down on the front part of the tank/frame
3. Torque up all the loose fasteners without moving anything as you're going around tightening things.

This procedure makes a lot of sense to me the only thing I'm questioning is if it's safe to let the weight of the M50 "hang" on the two pinch bolts at the top of the forks? The demonstration was done with a Hayabusa. I looked up some specs and I'm finding my M50 is about 50lbs more than the Hayabusa, which puts them a lot closer than I was expecting.

Is this an appropriate method of aligning the forks on an M50?

I'm sure this has been covered, but this forum is HUGE and I wasn't finding anything addressing this.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No replies; I'll assume this topic has been covered thoroughly and I did a poor job searching.

In the interest of contributing to the community I'll share. In my experience, this was an easy fix.

The key is having a jack. I ended up getting one from HF with a coupon. Already paid for itself.

Jack the bike up just enough so the front wheel is on the ground but the jack is supporting some of the weight.

Remove the axle pinch bolt and loosen the axle to "wrench snug".

Back the upper and lower pinch bolts off until they are "wrench snug". You may be able to get away only loosening the lower pinch bolts, I had to loosen the uppers as well. Note this is where the jack comes in with the pinch bolts lose, there is NOTHING HOLDING THE FORKS IN THE FRAME.

Stand in front of your bike and hold the wheel straight with your knees (or get a second person to help). Grab the handle bars or tree or whatever and straighten it out. I was able to make a significant improvement using this method, sighting center lines.

Apply 50% torque to the upper pinch bolts (one side the the other) then 75%, then do the same to the lowers. Then go back and torque the axle in the same manner 50%, 75%. Then torque all the pinch bolts to spec, upper, upper, lower, lower. Then torque the axle and axle pinch bolt to spec.

Best,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts