Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I've got a non starting 2003 marauder vz800, and I suspect that it's a bad fuel pump. I've seen video's on YouTube on how to test them, but the issue is that all the video's test a pump that has two wires, whereas the marauder, has 4 (black/white, yellow/green, black/yellow and orange/white). So my question is, which two wires do I connect to the positive and negative of my battery to test? Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
Switch the ignition on and using a meter see which wires from the harness produce 12vdc.

good luck

·
Super Moderator
12,795 Posts
Huh, one lead from the ohm meter to ground and the other lead to the lets say the black white wire. and check for continuity,
Your first suggestion did NOT say METER lead. Connecting wires in the harness to ground would be a bad idea.

Then.....it gets worse, potentially.

If you are trying to find ground with an ohm-meter, you must be absolutely sure that there is no voltage present.
The only way to do that is to disconnect the + battery cable.

NOT telling the whole story is often worse than saying nothing at all. In this case, it can fry the meter.

·
Registered
267 Posts
i just assumed the black-white wire was negative and would be safe to ground out.. i also assumed the poster new the basics, which is wrong when anyone with a computer can post. and the people reading don't really know what the poster truly knows. so you have to feel things out. slowly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts