Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone has considered making a modification to the 800cc Suzuki valve system to be able to use a hydraulic adjuster from one of the other Suzuki engines. I am sure it would be more difficult than a little machine work on the rocker arm to make the adjuster from an s83 for example, work on the 50 series engines. If some one that has the machine shop equipment could make that modification they could sell thousands, maybe even hundreds. Your thoughts on that change.

old codger

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
The short answer is that it can't be done, as the 1400 type valve set up would make the VS800 motor too tall to fit in the frame, even if you wanted to take the time to re-engineer the top end of the motor to make them work. The probem is that the current 800 motor does not use tappets at all, as the rocker arms ride directly on the camshafts, and the motor is a real snug fit already.
Besides, why bother? The VS800 motor lasts longer than the 1400 motor anyways, there are absolutely no longevity issues with the 800's top end, and I've never had to adjust the valves before about 50,000 miles. You'd just be screwing up a good thing.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comments DrBob, my S50 makes slight noise from the valves, noticable only when I have my windshield on. The valves are correctly adjusted, sure is a pain to check them, that is the reason I would like to have the option of self adjusting valves.

Old Codger

1 - 3 of 3 Posts