Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I have an 03 vl800. It all started with needing a new kickstand spring, got it changed it. didn't push in the kill switch enough. Mabey I need a new kickstand bushing or something. Will to get on the road I decide to snip the wires to the kill switch and just hook them together. So a little electrical tap and she starts. put it in gear and all is good. I left the wires just hanging there and though twice about it. So I turned it off and taped it to the frame. Turn it back on hit the starter and it just cranks and cranks and cranks, wont start. I may have smelled a lil electrical smoke smell. So what did I do, did I blow a fuse or what?

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I would suggest removing the wires from the frame...it sounds like there is a direct short from them. If you leave the wires jumped like that a terminal is best screwed over the ends to stop any further problems. If it still fails to run then you will have probably blown the main fuse.... may be under a side cover or near the battery. Do not do a visual check only as they often are blown but look OK.

Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advise, The wires have been moved from the frame and still no start. Checking fuses next.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts