Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 suzuki sv650s and I'm not real smart when it comes to bikes but would like to learn. My bike is actin up on me I took it out today and its been about 2 weeks since I had a chance to ride it. It took me a while to crank it and now it starts and will idle but once i hit the brakes my lights starts to dim and when I'm tryin to ride they dim then my bike shuts off complete. My bike went dead when i left it alone for to week but then I charged my battery and thought it would be fine, but thats the only thing I can think of being work. Can someone give me some advice and hopefully its just a bad battery.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Sounds like either a loose battery cable or the battery going bad. Get your battery checked. If it's low on charge, charge it up and see if that helps. If it still does it with a fully charged battery then you may have an electrical component on the bike going bad.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sounds like either a loose battery cable or the battery going bad. Get your battery checked. If it's low on charge, charge it up and see if that helps. If it still does it with a fully charged battery then you may have an electrical component on the bike going bad.
:plus1:

Rev the bike a bit (or just ride it around) to build up a charge. My lights have always dimmed a bit when the bike is cold but work fine once the bike gets warmed up...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive charged the battery and revved up the engine tried ridin it but it shut off and it would not rev higher than 3500 rpm when i was ridin then it would shut off

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've heard of this problem b4 but I cant remember the cause/solution.... It may be your regulator/rectifier has gone bad. This is a common problem on 1st gen SV's. How many miles are on your bike?
You may wand to check out svrider.com. Anything you could ever want to know about an SV is on there...

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
this sounds like 2 problems.

1 - if it is the original battery, and it could well be, it's prolly shot.
before you do that, you should be able to pry the covers of the individual cells and refill them with water. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. Water being cheap enough, what the heck.

2 - not going over 3500, that would be indicative of a dirty carb. Seafoam carb cleaner (available at good hardware stores near you) can usually clean that out.

·
Registered
302 Posts
It has 6581 on it
Probably not the R/R then... If you want to see if its your battery wihtout buying a new one: use jumper cables and hook the bike up to a good battery (like say from your car; making sure the car is OFF) and run the bike. If you still have the issue of stalling, then its probably the carbs like jim said. If you're still having electrical issues then its probably a bad ground/connection...

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
obviously he hasn't learned the finer points of the general ideas we have discussed.

like, the bugger is in the details.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts