Motorcycle Forum banner

I got me a bike, haus......

2K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  Pinhy 
#1 ·
im new here, so whats crackin(hello) to every one, been snoopin around for a couple weeks now, thought i'd register, but i got a 02 sv650s today, carb has been jetted, new exhaust, new fairings, 2 gas tanks, tinted windshield, threw in a helmetand light jacket, for $2300, gotta love when military folks move to another country.......i love the ride, im rather new to the street, but been dirt bikin for a while......n e way heres a couple pics

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey, welcome. Good to have that dirt experience behind you.

#14 ·
what layinlo said v-twin in the shape of a V= 2 pistons / lower revs

Gsx-r inline 4, they are all in a line= 4 pistons / high reving

#20 ·
The difference between a V-Twin and an inline four is greater than the obvious lack of two cylinders.

The V-Twin will have half as many parts but the parts will be bigger and heavier. As a general rule this translates into more torque, it's torque that gets the bike moving and keeps it running with less effort from the rpm's.

Although the performance of a V-Twin can be very good indeed as a general rule they tend to be slower to accelerate than a four but again this depends on your riding style because the extra torque makes the bike less finicky about what gear you're in, being able to pull strongly from low to high rpm's.

All bikes have a sweet spot in the rpm range that allows the bike to perform better, in a twin this sweet spot is much wider than a four.

#22 ·
I thought that the torque came from long-stroke versus short-stroke engines. My 1400 is definitely a long-stroke I-4, it has torque to spare even at low revs, but much less horsepower than a 'Busa, even though the 'Busa has 100ccm less displacement. The Gixxer also has a short-stroke design, massive horsepower but less torque.

#25 ·
Welcome! Nice choice in bikes!!!! :)

Also, Pug...the SV only recently became fuel injected...which is why DjSturdy had to get his carbs jetted, etc.

I like the V-Twin rumble...I think it sounds very nice and throaty as compared to the high whine of some of the inline fours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.