Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Suzuiki gn400 diesel hardtail
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never had a motorcycle that actually ran before and the idea of learning to shift at fifty+ was holding me back. Then I saw a conversion someone had done using CVT clutches and a different engine. As a mechanic in the golf industry I decided to move forward with this idea and who doesn't love the smell of freshly burned diesel? I am not done with it yet but here is a picture of the direction I decided to go.

·
Super Moderator
12,907 Posts
Yikes.
Open chain......open pulleys for belt........
This looks like a NASTY crash just waiting to happen.

If you can fix some of the safety concerns, it might indeed be an interesting project.

But your initial statement about making that last shift at 50+ mph makes no sense at all.
The last shift going UP and the first one coming DOWN is the easiest one of all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yikes.
Open chain......open pulleys for belt........
This looks like a NASTY crash just waiting to happen.

If you can fix some of the safety concerns, it might indeed be an interesting project.

But your initial statement about making that last shift at 50+ mph makes no sense at all.
The last shift going UP and the first one coming DOWN is the easiest one of all.
I am over fifty years old and don't want to learn to shift, nothing to do with speed. As far as safety there are guards over the belt and the chain is behind me and my legs will be in front of all that anyway. The foot pegs are going on the bar downtube in front of the engine. Granted the chain might damage some stuff if it comes off or breaks but a flimsy sheet metal chain guard won't prevent that. It's not like I live in the eighties and wear fringed leather. Wearing the proper gear, there is no way any of my clothing is getting caught in any of that.

·
Super Moderator
12,907 Posts
Wearing the proper gear, there is no way any of my clothing is getting caught in any of that.
Famous last words.
Most riders quickly learn that their feet WILL go backwards at times when stopping, sometimes with unexpected results.
Good luck. Being stubborn often turns out to be painful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Famous last words.
Most riders quickly learn that their feet WILL go backwards at times when stopping, sometimes with unexpected results.
Good luck. Being stubborn often turns out to be painful.
I'm not too worried about it. I wear chaps designed for timber cutting. If they stop the chain of a chainsaw from taking off my leg I am pretty confident that a chain without teeth won't do much to them if it did fly off and hit me. The belts are well protected and when you are under power the belt is deep in center of that back pulley and at the outer edge of the front one which is well protected. When the bike is stopped or at idle the belt is not even turning so you're a little over concerned with the belt IMO. You might want to research CVT clutches and how they work before you accidently stick your foot in your mouth again. I am well aware of the potential danger and have taken the necessary precautions. Considering the only reply I have received has been one uneducated moderator, I don't feel this forum will be very useful to me. Goodbye.

·
Registered
2020 Suzuki Boulevard C50
2 Posts
I think what he means is:

Considering people are disagreeing with me, I don't want to listen.

I learned to ride at 50. It's not hard to learn how to shift.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts